Eczema soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likeablelady

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapers,
I come to you with a request. I am looking for a good soap recipe for people with eczema. If anyone has one they are willing to share, I would appreciate it. Hope to hear back soon. :) BTW, I know many recipes have palm oil in them, but I don't have any of it. If there is a recipe without it, I would be pleased.

Last edited:
Question about recipe

Hi, I was trying to come up with a recipe that may be soothing and not too drying for people with eczema. Would anyone mind taking a look at this and let me know if this seems like a decent recipe.... I am not great at this, but I am trying.

30% Shea Butter
30% Coconut Oil
40% Olive Oil

35% water as pecentage of oil
10% superfat

Am I missing anything? Any help would be appreciated. I am only going to make a half pound if it seems okay.

Thanks!

You will find that just using a nice mild hand made soap can help a great deal. It might not, as eczema is a complicated beast with a number of factors. For some people, it cleared up as soon as they started using their own soap.

One thing that might help, search for neem or pine tar recipes, too.

I have a recipe in mind, would you mind taking a look at it. I am limited on my oils as I have only been doing his for about a month. Not looking for a cure. This would be for children of a friend of mine.

The CO is WAY too high. Drop that down to no more than 15%.

Are you completely opposed to using animal fats?

I had horrible eczema before I started making my own soap. Just getting rid of the syndets cured mine.

Not at all... I just worry if someone hears there is Lard or something like that in the soap, they would frown upon it.
And I merged them :)

It's a very good point - please don't start multiple threads on one topic.

Sorry about that... won't happen again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
"...I just worry if someone hears there is Lard or something like that in the soap, they would frown upon it...."

Someone will always be frowning at your recipe, regardless of what fats you use, depending on their belief system. You say this soap is for a friend, not to sell, so base your recipe on what you know of your friend.

Thing is, if you're trying to make a soap that has a good chance of being non-irritating to annoyed skin, then a recipe with lard is a very good choice. Skip the fragrance, the fancy additives, the unusual oils, and such -- go back to basics and see if that helps, then one can build from there.

Susie is a nurse, she speaks from personal experience with eczema, and she gives good sensible advice. Carolyn (cmzaha) is another person I can think of who gives good advice on this subject.

You got good advice. Only thing I would add is that you let the soap cure for a good long time, min 6 weeks before sharing them with your friend.

I am also very concerned that you are making soap for friends so very early in your soaping experience. If you were the person with the eczema, I would not be worried. However, when you give soap to someone, they trust you to know what you are doing, and to give them good soap.

I am going to give you a suggestion of a recipe. However, I am not saying it will "cure" eczema. It is the lack of the detergents in commercial soap that "cured" my eczema. Every time I have to use commercial soap, I run the risk of kicking it up again.

Lard 70%
CO 10%
OO 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 8%

This should give a nice mild soap that has rich lather and is non-stripping to the skin. Avoid colorants and scents until his/her eczema calms down. Then you can try either a scent or a colorant, but not both. Then you can try the other (but not both).

ETA-Please remember that you MUST allow 6-8 weeks for a cure. Any soap that is not cured enough will be harsh. I encourage YOU to try that soap on a weekly basis to see the changes cure time brings, but do not give it away for the full 6-8 weeks.

I would also strongly suggest that you find out what those children are allergic to before making any soap. You could potentially trigger an allergic reaction by using the wrong oils to make the soap.

Last edited:
Hi, I was trying to come up with a recipe that may be soothing and not too drying for people with eczema. Would anyone mind taking a look at this and let me know if this seems like a decent recipe.... I am not great at this, but I am trying.

30% Shea Butter
30% Coconut Oil
40% Olive Oil

35% water as pecentage of oil
10% superfat

Am I missing anything? Any help would be appreciated. I am only going to make a half pound if it seems okay.

Thanks!
Do Not use shea butter in a soap for someone with eczema (allergies). Shea contains latex properties that can be deadly to some with allergies. Also keep in mind everything on this earth is an allergen for someone. Susie gave good advice. I will add, I am not sure what you are calling eczema, if it is just dry skin, as some call eczema you might be fine with any soap. If it is the type to cause severe allergic reactions I would start with a pure lard soap. Personally I have 3 types of eczema, at least that is how it was classfied years ago and may have changed now, but the bottom line is my eczema has sent me to the hospital more than once. Also I never never say a soap is eczema safe. Stay away from all color and fragrances. I few years ago I had a gal at a farmer's market come up to me and spread her magic olive oil on my hand. It had lavender which I am allergic to. When I told her to never do that to anyone her answer was, "no one is allergic to lavender." That is outright stupid, I have to use a mask when working with lavender and the way my face feels this morning after working with lavender yesterday I am thinking I need more than a mask. I love salt bars because the salt helps stop my constant itching, but now have to use pko in place of coconut oil since I seem to be becoming sensitive to coconut oil. Mostly I use an emulsified salt scrub I make from a coconut free cream soap I make. Another example of what can happen, my daughter just called me and asked if you could suddenly form an allergy to raspberries her face swelled up, her face and shoulders are red blotchy. She is a severe asthmatic but never had any eczema or atopic dermatitis allergies. Sorry nothing fires me up more than someone wanting to make an eczema soap, lotion, face wash etc. Handmade soaps do not help everyone and I am better off with syndet bars and other daughter has to use Syndet bars every soap she had tried break her out. Cetaphil is wonderful if one is not allergic to it. I have much more to say on the subject but will step down from the soapbox now. :) Forgot to add that 10% superfat could smear an oil they are allergic to on their skin in the raw form, hence one of the reasons I very low superfat... Many a person has come to my booth asking for an eczema soap for their child and I explain to them the reasons I do not recommend anything, especially for sensitive children, unless they are under doctor care and were advised to try handmade soap and know what the child is allergic to. Told you I have a lot to say...:) If not under doctor care I advise them to seek medical care and be very cautious of what they use on the child. Children can be much more sensitive and have severe attacks out of the blue. Okay I am done now

Last edited:
Do Not use shea butter in a soap for someone with eczema (allergies). Shea contains latex properties that can be deadly to some with allergies. Also keep in mind everything on this earth is an allergen for someone. Susie gave good advice. I will add, I am not sure what you are calling eczema, if it is just dry skin, as some call eczema you might be fine with any soap. If it is the type to cause severe allergic reactions I would start with a pure lard soap. Personally I have 3 types of eczema, at least that is how it was classfied years ago and may have changed now, but the bottom line is my eczema has sent me to the hospital more than once. Also I never never say a soap is eczema safe. Stay away from all color and fragrances. I few years ago I had a gal at a farmer's market come up to me and spread her magic olive oil on my hand. It had lavender which I am allergic to. When I told her to never do that to anyone her answer was, "no one is allergic to lavender." That is outright stupid, I have to use a mask when working with lavender and the way my face feels this morning after working with lavender yesterday I am thinking I need more than a mask. I love salt bars because the salt helps stop my constant itching, but now have to use pko in place of coconut oil since I seem to be becoming sensitive to coconut oil. Mostly I use an emulsified salt scrub I make from a coconut free cream soap I make. Another example of what can happen, my daughter just called me and asked if you could suddenly form an allergy to raspberries her face swelled up, her face and shoulders are red blotchy. She is a severe asthmatic but never had any eczema or atopic dermatitis allergies. Sorry nothing fires me up more than someone wanting to make an eczema soap, lotion, face wash etc. Handmade soaps do not help everyone and I am better off with syndet bars and other daughter has to use Syndet bars every soap she had tried break her out. Cetaphil is wonderful if one is not allergic to it. I have much more to say on the subject but will step down from the soapbox now. :) Forgot to add that 10% superfat could smear an oil they are allergic to on their skin in the raw form, hence one of the reasons I very low superfat... Many a person has come to my booth asking for an eczema soap for their child and I explain to them the reasons I do not recommend anything, especially for sensitive children, unless they are under doctor care and were advised to try handmade soap and know what the child is allergic to. Told you I have a lot to say...:) If not under doctor care I advise them to seek medical care and be very cautious of what they use on the child. Children can be much more sensitive and have severe attacks out of the blue. Okay I am done now

I have to respect what you say about eczema. It's a good perspective to keep in mind, especially since my daughter also has eczema and keeping it under control is the hardest thing. I did almost outright argue with her allergist about Dove for Sensitive Skin- it burned her horribly and my sister, who doesn't have as sensitive skin as my daughter or even me, said it burned her.

I've spent the soon to be 5 months making soap, getting a feel for it and pinning down what I like and what I have to try for my daughter. So far, I'm liking lard and my bastile the best. I am surprised that the lard is not breaking me out as I can't eat more than 2 slices of bacon unless I want stomach cramps and a nice hivey rash to boot (but I like turkey bacon better anyway).

Lastly, I have to agree that you can be allergic to anything and, yes, I was irked by your farmer's market experience. This may be harsh but if someone is ignorant enough to think that people can't be allergic to certain things, they deserve the nice, hefty lawsuits that will hit the fan due to that ignorance. It's just dangerous to assume that everything/ anything is safe for skin. It's like those people who sell those heavily perfumed Dead Sea products. I told them that those products burn my skin, some guy assured me that wouldn't happen and used a scrub. Lo and behold: the area where the scrub was turned red and burned like a beast. All I could say was "I told you" and I'm sure they lost a few customers after that.

Thank you for this interesting post. I've recently discovered I am probably sensitive (maybe allergic to latex) and have been looking into stuff but haven't come across shea butter containing latex.
All my soaps contain about 5% but I can't see it bothers me at all now. I keep SF low and I will see how I go with it in the future.

I've developed blisters and what looks like burnt skin from bandaids, dressings in general, pads (sorry if TMI). I put latex gloves at work (I'm a nurse and carer) and my hand would burn and itch. And after few months it finally clicked that it's more than just funny skin.
My heart dropped when I saw that my all time favourite Birckenstocks contain latex, but from more research, mainly in the inside of the soles, with no contact to skin. I can breathe easily again haha.

I have a bit of what I think it is seborrheic dermatitis on my cheeks, it's fuzzy, red and it flakes when it's angry. I've had it since teenage years.
I make 50-60% tallow soap, with rest being almond, avocado, shea and castor. Almon and avo around 15% and shea and castor 5%. I keep chaning recipe but that's the basis of it. I don't use any CO as it's REALLY harsh on dry facial skin. It's not the greatest in lathering department but it cleans and it's gentle. I still have to moisturise well after cleaning.
I keep SF close to 0%.
I made this soap for myself but I would be also wary of making soap containing possible allergens for someone else.
And also, really, everyone's skin is different, what suits me and sounds good in a recipe, won't suit everybody else.

Also keep in mind everything on this earth is an allergen for someone.

This.
I get so frustrated when someone claim that they can guarantee that nothing they make/sell will ever give anyone any reactions whatsoever, because it is so natural etc. Whenever someone says that I just want to tell them there are actually people who will get severe reactions to water (distilled, rainwater, tapwater..you name it)
Water! o_O
(It is called Aquagenie Urticaria. )

You might consider a naked castille. A friend suffered from severe eczema and found it to be very helpful. Those benefit from an extended cure time (traditionally one year), so perhaps ask a seller here if they have any for sale to give it a try. :)

This.
I get so frustrated when someone claim that they can guarantee that nothing they make/sell will ever give anyone any reactions whatsoever, because it is so natural etc. Whenever someone says that I just want to tell them there are actually people who will get severe reactions to water (distilled, rainwater, tapwater..you name it)
Water! o_O
(It is called Aquagenie Urticaria. )

Holy crap! And I thought the people allergic to the sun had it bad? You can live without sunlight; but, how the heck do you live without water? That article said some people with this allergy have reactions to THEIR OWN TEARS! :confused:

Back