Is adding coconut oil OK?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nscandles

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been working with Golden 444, trying various things in an attempt to stop sink holes, bubbling & rough surfaces from forming. I thought I might buy some coconut oil & try adding a bit to see if that helps. I'm concerned about one thing though: will adding coconut oil lower melt temperature to the point that I need to worry about shipping them in hot summer months? I live in the hot CA desert. Thanks for any advice! :)

I've never added coconut oil to any wax, so I can't say what it will do, but it will lower your melt point. It has a 76F melt point, which is much lower than the average container candle wax.

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize coconut oil had such a low melt temp. I think I'd better not try. Actually, since I wrote the question I decided to try C3 soy wax and ordered a sample bag. I'm loving it! I think I'll make the switch. Thanks again for answering! :)

I am interested to add some coconut or jojoba wax on my candle but I am not sure if will affected the finished product. I don't sell them just for the home use.

I also never added coconut oil in soy wax, being jar candle professional i will definetly give a try once, lets see how it works.

Hi,

I've been working with Golden 444, trying various things in an attempt to stop sink holes, bubbling & rough surfaces from forming. I thought I might buy some coconut oil & try adding a bit to see if that helps. I'm concerned about one thing though: will adding coconut oil lower melt temperature to the point that I need to worry about shipping them in hot summer months? I live in the hot CA desert. Thanks for any advice! :)
Since you live here in CA I would recommend contacting John at California Candle Supply, tell him Carolyn referred you. He is a candle supplier and manufacturer with a wealth of information http://calcandlesupply.com/

Back