HP Shaving Soap Cure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgsample

Reaction score
I made my first soap this weekend! A Hot process shaving soap and portioned it out 2oz in a dozen Glad 4oz containers. I did this so I could pour a whole tester vial of FO into each and blend it in.

My question is, do I leave the containers uncovered for awhile, or put the tops on right away?

If you want the soap to stay the same texture as it already is, you'll want to cap the containers. If you want the soap to dry down, then definitely cover the jars loosely like Obsidian does -- something to keep the dust off but allow evaporation. It's too sticky to leave totally uncovered -- it will act like a magnet for every stray hair or bit of dust.

Cure for how long? As long as needed to get the consistency you want. Or for at least a month. I sometimes use scraps of my shave soap fairly soon after making it just to see how it is doing, but I do think the lather quality improves with time. I don't give it away any sooner than a month after making.

Last edited:
I like the consistency. Not sticky at all, slightly firm Play-doh since I used 100% KOH. Was afraid of mold if I sealed it up too wet.

(not thrilled with any of the 12 FOs I used):(

hubby ran off with my latest shave soap just a couple days after I made it - its working for him, and will only improve, so I figure its ok.

Yes, I prefer my HP-ed soaps to rest for few weeks before I use them. They gets harder by time.

I have enough of my shave croaps stored up now that my hubby never gets to use a new one until it's at least 6 weeks old, if not several months old. lol

He has tried a few as little as a week after being made, though, and I got no complaints from him. I believe the KOH has a lot to do with it.

I cure mine the same way I do my regular CP bars- naked on my racks for at least 4 weeks before being transferred to my storage boxes.

IrishLass :)

Back