My quest for coconut:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1424735225.873454.jpg

I've tried a few and not one has been just right, then while in Hawaii this month I found a lotion with an exquisite coconut fragrance and it got me fired up to find one for myself. I ordered these, I'm waiting for 1 or 2 more to be delivered. I'm going to try them in both soap and lotion. I'll post my findings for anyone else who is coconut obsessed like me. :)

Yes, please do. I have one that is to die for but the blasted fo overheats and liquifies before you can get it to the freezer. I soaped it cold and poured it in a chilled mold and severly overheated. Going to give it another go since I have to keep it around for lotion. It is Caribbean Coconut from soapsupplies.net

Yes, please do. I have one that is to die for but the blasted fo overheats and liquifies before you can get it to the freezer. I soaped it cold and poured it in a chilled mold and severly overheated. Going to give it another go since I have to keep it around for lotion. It is Caribbean Coconut from soapsupplies.net

I'll have to try that one even if it is just for lotion. The ones I've tried all have this very artificial melted plastic undertone, either that or they smell more like vanilla or pineapple. If none of these work I'm going to order another round of samples from a bunch of other suppliers lol.

Yes, please do! I've tried a few and all slowly fade away. I don't know why coconut is so hard to achieve in CP but apparently it is. :-?

Coconut is the magical unicorn of soap haha!

I have tried 4 types and Coconut Craze from NG is the winner. Coconut milks in general aren't strong enough and a Crafters Choice Coconut I tried smelled sour in the final product. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

I have tried 4 types and Coconut Craze from NG is the winner. Coconut milks in general aren't strong enough and a Crafters Choice Coconut I tried smelled sour in the final product. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

I can see why, coconut craze is very strong OOB. It smells similar to a Bath and Body works scent called exotic coconut.
Was the crafters choice scent you didn't like called coconut milk? That's the one I'm still waiting on.

Going to get started on my samples this morning!

I use the Coconut Craze in lotion bars and scrubs, haven't tried it in soap yet. I like the Coconut Milk from Peak and thought about mixing it with some other coconuts. I think I have 5 or 6 but haven't tried them in soap yet.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1424803701.332705.jpg

Got 9 samples in the molds. Wow there are some heaters! The coconut from Day Star is completely overheated with a big oil puddle on top. What a shame because it smells great. I was going to Cpop because I wanted to see how they smelled after gelling, but I don't think I'll need to since so many are hot already.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1424804000.249103.jpg

I can see why, coconut craze is very strong OOB. It smells similar to a Bath and Body works scent called exotic coconut.
Was the crafters choice scent you didn't like called coconut milk? That's the one I'm still waiting on.

Going to get started on my samples this morning!

I tried Coconut Milk from Peak and Creamy Coconut from NG. Coconut Milk just wasn't strong enough but if mixed with something else I am sure it would be great.

Mine from Crafter's Choice was just plain Coconut.

Peak coconut milk has been my go to. I like that it doesn't discolor,but I doesn't really smell coconut-y to me either. It smells sweet and creamy. I actually use it as a vanilla scent if I need something that doesn't discolor when I mix with another FO. I guess what I'm looking for is something that smells of virgin unrefined coconut oils with a touch of Hawaiian tropics tanning oil. That might be too much to ask ;)

Got my lotion samples mixed!

I've used MMS coconut and while it smells nice, its not very coconut-y and it discolors to a dark pinkish brown. Can't wait to hear the results, I'd love a nice coconut soap.

Great work, ladies. Coconut is definitely a hard to find smell. In my opinion, it should have a fresh quality that is spa like and somewhat there but not overpowering and definitely not an adulterated, slightly made-up, intoxicatingly sweet smell.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1424892592.129337.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1424892604.002038.jpg
I just unmolded my samples and here's what I think:

"Coconut Cream Pie" NG- it smells really good. It's buttery and strong with vanilla and then just a touch of coconut. The soap is already brown.
Definitely not was I was looking for.
In lotion: sweet vanilla, smells like when you walk by a cotton candy cart.

"Coconut cabana" NG- this one doesn't smell like coconut. It's a bit fruity and if I had to pick a scent that stood out, I'd say pineapple. It's light and sort of floral. Generic. Behaved well and no discolor in so far.
In lotion- definitely fruity, but smells fake and funky when put on the skin .. Passing on this one.

"Coconut craze" NG- this smells really good though not what I'm looking for. It does smell like B&Bworks "exotic coconut" it's musky and sexy with a hint of sandalwood. Not fruity. I think a lot of people would like this. Behaved well and is tan colored (so far)
In lotion- same description as above scent doesn't morph on skin.

"Exotic coconut" NG- this one behaved well but right now there is almost no scent in the soap very light I cannot give a good description.
In lotion- smells almost like coconut craze but much lighter and has a drop of that fruity pineapple scent which clearly fragrance makers think people associate with coconut. They should stop doing that. This one is a no.

"Island coconut" BB- again, behaved well but very very light. Right now it just smells slightly sweet.
In lotion- out of the jar this one isn't too bad smells like typical coconut air freshener (like the paper trees from the car wash) too fake smelling for me.

"Creamy coconut" NG- this is my 3rd favorite of this bunch. The soap behaved perfectly. The scent is super light but I like it and I think with curing it's headed in the right direction. Good mix of the real and artificial suntan oil smell. I hope the scent sticks.
In lotion- very close to what I'm looking for. This may be my favorite. It does smell like the made up coconut smell we all recognize so if you want only "real" this one won't be for you.

"Caribbean coconut" WSP (crafters choice) - This one is really good. The scent in the soap is strong already. It soaped perfectly. It's very sweet and creamy smelling, but does not smell like suntan oil at all. I don't know if it smells like coconut or just really good and I'm being tricked by the name.
In lotion- very good. I can't decide if I like this one or creamy coconut better.

"Coconut" Day star- this one smells like the real deal. Honestly. Out of the bottle it was just ok and smelled like the others, but in the soap it smells like actual coconut flesh. It behaved terribly, overheated, and now it's sitting here all brown and greasy and gross looking, but it smells divine. I'm so torn! Trying to figure out how to make this work.. Maybe used in a lower percentage and then mixed with a better behaved FO? .. I'll keep you posted, but it is the most realistic coconut scent of all.
In lotion- it's nice and definitely a front runner, but it is not as lovely as it is in the soap. Maybe if you overheat it it would smell nicer LOL...

I've ordered a few more coconut samples to try, and I'll update this post after curing these babies!

This was awesome TVivian! If there has been any ONE scent that EVERYONE is on the hunt of....it is coconut....the true scent that will throw. The next scent that everyone is on the hunt for it seems is ocean. Thanks for the reviews and pics. It was very interesting! :) Can't wait to see on the others you have ordered. Did you by any chance order the coconut from Tennessee Candle Company? I have heard that one is good. I have some on order, but with all this snow, it may get here in a few weeks! :)

This was awesome TVivian! If there has been any ONE scent that EVERYONE is on the hunt of....it is coconut....the true scent that will throw. The next scent that everyone is on the hunt for it seems is ocean. Thanks for the reviews and pics. It was very interesting! :) Can't wait to see on the others you have ordered. Did you by any chance order the coconut from Tennessee Candle Company? I have heard that one is good. I have some on order, but with all this snow, it may get here in a few weeks! :)

I've been making a list of scents that people suggest so I'll have to take a look at that one! Thanks!

Today I received 2 from crafters choice. Coconut milk and exotic coconut (it gets confusing because all of these have the same names!) I've ordered some others and as soon as I get them I'll do another test run. This is fun!

Back