What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! I would expect the white to turn brown over time and the yellow/gold will probably also darken. How dark would depend on how much you used and your vendor. I love Dragon's Blood, but, yes it will darken over time.
As you rightly said, the white is darkening to quite a dark tan. I’m hoping it will darken evenly. At the moment it’s a bit blotchy. Next time I’ll colour my base batter darker and work with that. It’s my first time working with a discolouring fragrance. So much to learn :)

As you rightly said, the white is darkening to quite a dark tan. I’m hoping it will darken evenly. At the moment it’s a bit blotchy. Next time I’ll colour my base batter darker and work with that. It’s my first time working with a discolouring fragrance. So much to learn :)

Mine always ends up uniformly darker. What I really found I love with the Dragon's Blood deepening color, is that with a good shine on the soap, it actually gives it a deep richness. In some colors, it enhances them into a jewel-like intensity that can be quite gorgeous when you add a sheen to the surface of the soap by polishing it with a micro-fiber cloth.

Oh, yes, I have went to college and got edgumacated. Truth be told, I probably over-think everything: life, faith, existence, soap... you name it.
What I really like about soap is that it engages both my science and creative sides. I like feeling like I'm back in my college chem lab, taking notes and observations, figuring out amount needed for which size mold, weighing ingredients, etc.

It literally was a quick trip...just an overnight for a wine tasting event with Janice.
Hopefully injury free?

What I really like about soap is that it engages both my science and creative sides. I like feeling like I'm back in my college chem lab, taking notes and observations, figuring out amount needed for which size mold, weighing ingredients, etc.

Hopefully injury free?
That’s EXACTLY why I started making soap as well.

Made a quick trip 3 hours south to NOLA last night...made it home this afternoon to pour this...
View attachment 38164
I finally figured out the Crafter’s Choice matte lavender conundrum. It disperses in water, not oil. The colors here are “Purple Vibrance” mica, matte lavender aquamarine and “Black Carbon” mica. EOs: lavender, cedarwood, clary sage and bergamot. I discounted the water 5%, used 1-1 masterbatch L/W and replaced half of the remaining water with coconut milk. Amazingly, it behaved remarkably well. In fact, I might have poured a bit thin to achieve the swirl I’m going for. Very excited to cut this one tomorrow.

I also masterbatched about a half gallon of lye and made a run to BigLots! For coconut oil.

I hope you all have a great Sunday.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lavender-rosemary-bergamot-divided-loaf-swirl.74618/

D2666971-EFF8-4391-B56E-C067FCFA78CA.jpeg
Set up and about to pour this guy...

Just finished pouring my first Neem Oil Soap.. A few surprises: First, Holy Hannah Neem Oil smells, 2nd - the batter was brown until SURPRISE it turned green and my planned Oatmeal Milk and honey was substituted with Drops of Rain. 3rd it took forever to trace and it loves to separate. It will be interesting to see if the scent I use wins over the neem smell as it cures. I only used neem at 8 % so Im hoping so.

View attachment 38204 Set up and about to pour this guy...
Oooh exciting!
Just finished pouring my first Neem Oil Soap.. A few surprises: First, Holy Hannah Neem Oil smells, 2nd - the batter was brown until SURPRISE it turned green and my planned Oatmeal Milk and honey was substituted with Drops of Rain. 3rd it took forever to trace and it loves to separate. It will be interesting to see if the scent I use wins over the neem smell as it cures. I only used neem at 8 % so Im hoping so.
I've recently used more and it's already slowly fading at about a month. But I have a 5month soap that used about 8% and while it's not as strong, it's still there. I think the trick is finding a scent that works with it. I have to check my notes but I remember I used cedarwood and rosemary, among others. I always love seeing what you come up with, I'm excited to see those one :)

When using DB or any other discoloring FO, especially high vanilla fo's, I would not color the base darker. I find it much better to pour of batter for swirling then add the discoloring fo in the main batch of batter. If you color the fo free with bright colors the result can be very pretty. I use a lot of discoloring fo's and that is just my system.

One reason for not making the base batter which contains the darkening fo is it will already be a messy soap and by darkening it more it will really be a messy soap. I am quite interested to see what color you end up with your DB, which is my all time favorite.

I've recently used more and it's already slowly fading at about a month. But I have a 5month soap that used about 8% and while it's not as strong, it's still there. I think the trick is finding a scent that works with it. I have to check my notes but I remember I used cedarwood and rosemary, among others. I always love seeing what you come up with, I'm excited to see those one :)

This one wont be an overly pretty soap. Its for my Dog's groomer who requested a soap with neem oil in it for her dogs.
I tweaked my human bar recipe to use oils easy on sensitive skin plus the neem.

The other somewhat soap thing I did today was to order two new soap stamps. One with my business logo and the other with a paw print for my groomers soaps.

Pretty proud of myself for my weekend endeavors. Most of my Friday night/Saturday morning-afternoon was taken up with a church fundraiser, but I did manage to make Death By Chocolate sugar scrub, and 2 different recipes for shampoo bars. I don't really post much about my small batch shampoo bar experiments, I guess, but I've been tweaking these two recipes for almost 6 months, and finally got something my tester was happy with. These two recipes were tricky for me because one is for oily hair and one is for beards, neither of which I have, so I was totally relying on subject testing. Anyways, finally got something to meet the testers' criteria, so I made up two full batches of each. I also got my 10lb block of cocoa butter tempered and portioned out. Now to just get that 50lb block of tallow portioned out. I wasn't going to make more soap this month, but my batch of Lilac soap is almost pre-sold so I'm going to do another batch of that, but first I need to masterbatch some oils... and then I want to 'play along' with the cupcake challenge. The Diva and I will hopefully have time this week to make the embed toppers for the cupcakes I sketched out last week. Should be entertaining because I have 3 shapes I want to do, but only one of the shapes I know how much soap the mold holds.

Didn't actually make anything but I did come up with a silly idea for a "BLT Avocado" soap. It's funny how, since starting, everything I see or come across gets processed through a "soap filter" in my brain. "Can I make that as a soap?"
I also sold a bunch of craft supplies to go toward the soap making fund. Does that count? :D

Looking forward to finally making soap this week, if not today. Hoping to get more involved in the community here. My friends think I'm crazy I think.

Let’s see...soapy things for today include finishing decorating the “She Shed/ Soap Lab. Got some things hung up there. Put some hard oils in the oven to melt and have prepared everything for a nice Sweet Orange and Clove batch, colored with all natural colorants!

Attachments

• 8D2DFA03-32B2-4F3D-B2C7-58A83212FCE4.jpeg
    8D2DFA03-32B2-4F3D-B2C7-58A83212FCE4.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 27
Let’s see...soapy things for today include finishing decorating the “She Shed/ Soap Lab. Got some things hung up there. Put some hard oils in the oven to melt and have prepared everything for a nice Sweet Orange and Clove batch, colored with all natural colorants!

I love that you have a she shed. AND that it has electricity. Do yo have a method for cooling in the summer and heating in the winter? I'd need that if I had a shed, but that's never going to happen. We've talked about getting a shed for our riding lawn mower & other large equipment so we could get 2 cars into the garage, and it's been 15 years and still no shed!

Back