black color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helen1949

Reaction score
What do you use to get a black color? I want to do a red and black bar of soap. I can get a red color at Michell's but no black. Is it true that you can not use cloth dye in soap? Thanks for the help.

What type of a red color there is at Michael's? Is it CP soap safe, or only MP safe? Depending what type of a red colorants it is, it might bleed. If you use too much, then it could look like you bleed. Do you have any red mica? You can get a nice black from activated charcoal. Do NOT use cloth dye for soap! It's not safe on the skin.

I use a black oxide from Essentails of Australia ....but you only need a tiny bit other wise it bleeds .....Im sure other suppliers will have black oxide

Like Tracey said, I use a black oxide. I only colour till its a really dark grey, once its gelled it turns black and doesnt bleed :)

I cant find a red that stays red though, they all seem to go pink, or end up over coloured

TKB used to sell a black pop mica that was superb for black coloring; unfortunately, they no longer have the pop micas. Some use charcoal for the black coloring but since I've never tried it I can't offer any advice. Maybe someone with experience with charcoal will chime in.

I use wildcrafted charcoal powder from the health food store, it makes REALLY black soap but it does bleed. ( also draws out impurities, less razor bumps I find)
The folks at the health food store say people use it as some sort of supplement......I'm not sure for what.
I do know it makes great dog biscuits & gives puppers fresh breath.

I use charcoal powder, and it doesn't "bleed" tho the lather is tinged a very light gray sometimes.

I've only tried black oxide (which wasn't a deep black- I chickened out and used too little color).

I've never tried charcoal powder. I just googled it, and it's called "Activated Charcoal Powder?" Is that correct?

I also have dreams of a black and red swirled soap. :D

any soap color at michaels is for M&P soap, I have used it in my hp so it is safe for soap.

cthylla said:
I've only tried black oxide (which wasn't a deep black- I chickened out and used too little color).

I've never tried charcoal powder. I just googled it, and it's called "Activated Charcoal Powder?" Is that correct?

I also have dreams of a black and red swirled soap. :D
Yes, it's activated charcoal powder.

Back