~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Fluid Soap rebatching.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
mikvahnrose

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Fluid Soap rebatching.

How much water do you add to rebatch (steep water discount) soap?
I do not have sodium lactate or goats milk.

I do a 1.5:1 (W/L) ratio.

Nothing is wrong with the soap, but i hate the color. Company said it wouldn't morph but it did, and now it's a light blue grey when i was going for a deep ocean blue.

The mica in question is Lapis Lazuli by Crafters choice. So im going to add another blue in hopes of getting a prettier color!

I watched youtube videos and some add a bit of glycerin to help make it more fluid. They also use around 4 ounces of water to a lb of soap. But it seems they are doing it for full water soaps. Would a steep water soap need more?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6462 Times on 3299 Posts
Likes Given: 4290

I do the eyeballing method- basically, I spritz my grated soap with enough water to just make them moist (i.e., not swimming) then I start heating in a 180F oven (covered). As it's heating, I peek every now again to see how it's doing, and spritz more water if things look too dry. Then I repeat the cycle of peeking/cooking/spritzing until it reaches the right consistency to glop into the mold. Doing it this way prevents me from being too heavy-handed with the water up front. Adding a little SL to the spritzing water doesn't hurt, either.

IrishLass
Arimara Likes This