bleeding color black

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dksoaper

Reaction score
I have only made 3 batches of soap, on my 3rd batch I did a 3 color batch consisting of white, red and black in the bowl pour. it turned out beautiful, cured for 6 weeks. When I use it the black is making gray suds. Did I use the wrong kind of black coloring?It was a mica called black onyx.

I use activated charcoal for my black. That way when someone says the soap is giving off dark lather, I tell them "oh thank goodness I put enough activated charcoal in there! So it's working after all."

Long time ago I tried to get a solid brick red with red oxide. I then had a good supply of stained (formerly) white facecloths in the garage I used for rags. Don't try this at home, unless you need an excuse to increase your rag supply.

I have only made 3 batches of soap, on my 3rd batch I did a 3 color batch consisting of white, red and black in the bowl pour. it turned out beautiful, cured for 6 weeks. When I use it the black is making gray suds. Did I use the wrong kind of black coloring?It was a mica called black onyx.

And just to note, the soap is safe to use - but might stain wash cloths.

I use activated charcoal for my black. That way when someone says the soap is giving off dark lather, I tell them "oh thank goodness I put enough activated charcoal in there! So it's working after all."

Long time ago I tried to get a solid brick red with red oxide. I then had a good supply of stained (formerly) white facecloths in the garage I used for rags. Don't try this at home, unless you need an excuse to increase your rag supply.

I have found if you use the same amount of AC and stick blend it into the batter rather than hand stir it it is darker in the finished soap but doesn't run - if you get the amounts right.

Latest posts

Back