What do you think about this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyAddy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about using this recipe below later to make up a batch of HP soap using one of my spiffy new FOs I just got in from Bulk Apothecary! Two questions:
1. What do you think about this recipe? Is it too high in Castor Oil or Vegetable Shortening?
2. How much FO do you think I should use?

Superfat: 7%

Castor Oil 3.00oz 6.25%
Cocoa Butter 3.00oz 6.25%
Coconut Oil (Virgin) 12.00oz 25.00%
Olive Oil 6.00oz 12.50%
Shortening (Vegetable) 21.00oz 43.75%
Sweet Almond Oil 3.00oz 6.25% 7%
Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
Amount 6.523oz
Ounces of liquid recommended 15.84oz
Yields 70.36oz

Last edited:
For one thing, that is a huge batch for a starter - other than that, the recipe looks pretty decent.

Why have YOU chosen this recipe? Do YOU think it is too high in Castor or Shortening? Why HP?

As for how much scent, what is the suggest usage rate from the supplier?

Last edited:
Thanks Craig!

I am looking for something a little fancier than a straight OO/CO/Crisco recipe and thought the Castor Oil would give it a little more lather/bubbles. The other oils sounded nice to increase the moisturizing properties of the soap.

Bulk Apothecary didn't provide any guidance (that I could find) for how much to use. I was thinking at least 1 oz.

You are right, I think I am going to reduce the batch size to test it. Maybe reduce it to 1/3. That's one of my pitfalls - I have to stop thinking go big or go home when it comes to soaping! :)

Go small, go test, go tweak..........that's my (non-catchy) motto.

How adventurous are you feeling? Walk with me a little -

1 - Work out the recipe batch size with all of the oils above.

2 - Work out the same recipe, but with NO butter with the total batch size changed to allow for the lack of butter.

3 - Make the recipe from step 2 (with NO butter) at 0% to 1% superfat, depending on your accuracy of measuring.

4 - Add in the butter at the amount from step 1 AFTER the cook has finished.

You now have a soap that has mostly cocoa butter as the superfat.

^Everything Craig said! You want no larger batch size than 32 oz oil.

Also, drop that CO to 20% or less unless you just absolutely are hooked on that %. I would not use castor at any higher than 5%.

While you are playing with test batches, consider doing one batch with Almond Oil, and one batch with Olive Oil and see which you like best. I find they are so very similar in qualities that I don't notice much difference. You may think differently, but until you try one then the other and compare, you won't know for sure.

I would use no more than 0.5 oz FO or EO/PPO.

Craig and Susie -

Thank you SO MUCH! Craig - that is an awesome suggestion! :mrgreen: I am going to give it a whirl - I love the thought of a soap that really provides the benefits of the cocoa butter!

And thanks, Susie for the recommendations on the CO and OO!:mrgreen: It would be great to save my Sweet Almond Oil for my lip balms and solid perfumes (I find it works way better than other oils for my liking anyways!).

Going to also do the .5 oz of FO and do a 32oz batch. Now, one more question - to do a 32oz batch - is that 32oz of oils - or calculate it until I get a 32oz yield? I still haven't quite figured that part out yet! Thank goodness for soap calculators!

Aye, base it on a 32oz oil amount. For some moulds you'll need some trial and some error, but if someone here has the same mould then you can get a good figure from them. There is also a sticky in the CP forum about working out the batch size for moulds when the time comes.

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but I'm the odd (wo)man out in that I think the recipe looks perfectly fine 'as-is'. I know that some people either can't or don't like to use more than 20% coconut because of skin-type, etc..., which is perfectly understandable (not picking on you, Susie), but it's okay to use more if your skin is fine with it. I myself never use less than 28% coconut and/or pko in my formulas (I'm a confessed bubble fanatic....or lather lunatic, lol). If you are a lather lunatic like me whose skin does fine with higher amounts of bubbly oils, I would try the recipe as written to see how you like it, and then tweak it only if you feel you need to.

As for the size- I completely agree with the good Gent and Susie on that point- cut it down for sure. By 1/3rd is good. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Soapaddy, I too initially had problems calculating volume of mold. If you look at summerbemeadow.com, you can input your recipe percentages,and also your mold size, and it will give you proper totals for that mold. Happy soaping!

ETA I'm sorry. I must have gotten your thread confused with another that was struggling with calculating mold volume and soapcalc. Go forth and soap!

Latest posts

Back