Fragrance renamers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a renamer and the names often have nothing to do with the scent itself, just whatever was in my head when I was making the soap. For instance, I was soaping with a lush Flying Fox dupe last year and Minou (our cat whom we call 'little monkey') was being bad - yowling and sticking his paws under the door because he was locked out. That soap became "Naughty Monkey". My next soap that day was Daystar's Toffee Sugar Crunch, which became "Sugar Monkey". BB's Black Amber and Lavender smelled dark and mysterious to me, so I named that soap "Quoth the Raven...Nevermore" - Lit majors from the college near my weekly market love this soap :)
Just after Prince died, I made a soap with BB's Carnation with TD and a purple hidden feather design and named it "When Doves Cry" and another with RE's Blue Skies with TD and two shades of blue to look like puffy clouds in a blue sky and named it "Starfish and Coffee" for my favorite Prince song.
Sometimes I just change the names to reflect my Southern heritage: Heavenly Honeysuckle FO = "Dixie Honeysuckle"; Rose Garden FO = "Cherokee Rose", that kind of thing.
And sometimes my ideas fail miserably...no one wanted a soap named "Bella Morte", but it sold just fine after I changed the name to "Southern Gothic". And I was surprised last year at a Louisiana festival when not ONE single person even picked up my "Cherokee Rose" soap, which is usually a good seller for me at my Georgia market. Yep...it took me a minute for figure out "Duh, wrong tribe!" Sold out after I changed the name to "Rose Red".

Cerelife - that's so interesting that the name affected soap sales so much! I would not have guessed that at a craft fair. Online, yes. But in person where they could see/handle/smell it, I would have guess that "Cherokee Rose" and "Rose Red" - the exact same soap - would have sold equally well.

Cerelife - that's so interesting that the name affected soap sales so much! I would not have guessed that at a craft fair. Online, yes. But in person where they could see/handle/smell it, I would have guess that "Cherokee Rose" and "Rose Red" - the exact same soap - would have sold equally well.
This was a Southern Louisiana festival in an area where many people are as equally proud of their native Indian heritage (Houma Indians) as I am of my own Cherokee Indian heritage.
So yeah, I don't blame anyone for not picking up a 'Cherokee' soap in 'Houma' territory!!
Just goes to show the power of names...

Latest posts

Back