Soap recipe's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few things on re-reading your post above.

1. Fragrance oils are not saponified, so no need to worry about excess KOH. The fragrance amount does not change the KOH amount.

2. Distilled water is not made through boiling water in a closed container. That will kill germs, but not distill the water to remove impurities.

3. Never abbreviate phenolpthalein as phenol. There is a phenol, and it is poisonous. You can abbreviate it phph. I might shorten it phenolph., though.

4. To make the body soap, you said you are going to make herbals that you make yourself. Be sure they get added before the cook. Herbals added after the cook grow yuckies. You will also want much less coconut oil in a body soap.

Fragrance oils are not saponified

On my first cook, there was a lot of excess KOH. I measured it and I felt it. I am very familiar with alkaline chemical burns.

An excess of KOH is KOH wasted. So maybe my KOH is more pure than the label says it is. Maybe I mis measured it.

Distilled water is not made through boiling water in a closed container.

I use an Aquapure MD4 distiller. By its nature distilled water will dissolve and absorb carbon from the atmosphere. It becomes acidic. You can measure this with a pool PH test kit.

If you boil the distilled water for 15 minutes you will drive off the absorbed carbon. You can then store it boiling hot, hermetically sealed, and it will be "low carbon distilled water".

That is what I use when I service my batteries. It is also what I used when I did my first soap cook.

Maybe the lowered acidity of my distilled water attributed to the excess of KOH.

Never abbreviate phenolpthalein as phenol.

Sorry. Lazy fingers.

Be sure they get added before the cook. Herbals added after the cook grow yuckies.

Thank you very much. I will keep this in mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back