Lye-Dipped Pretzels (Laugenbretzel)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn it! Another thing to add to my to-do list, lol. I'm going to have to get a bigger pad of paper.... There's nothing that compares to a freshly baked, authentic pretzel, yummmm. Thank you so much IrishLass. I love your tutorials!

Here's a pic of one of my risen pretzels being given a lye bath:

IMG_1742DippedPretzel640.JPG

IrishLass :)

The real question is did you make a batch of soap with that lye water afterwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
You gave me the courage to try the lye method. Wow i can't believe the difference from the bs. My husband and children thank you. Thank you so very much!

The real question is did you make a batch of soap with that lye water afterwards?

LOL :lol:. Nope. Way too weak of a solution. I would definitely have had soup instead of soap for sure. lol. I did however save the lye solution and re-use it for more pretzel batches. Yum!

The Admirable Lady makes Laugenbrötchen - bread rolls with cumin, lye solution washed over the top and then chunky salt sprinked over.

If you're interested, I'll get the recipe off of her (or as close to a recipe as she can get when she works along the lines of "a wee bit of this..........................")

Just to add, she buys the solution premixed :D

The Admirable Lady makes Laugenbrötchen - bread rolls with cumin, lye solution washed over the top and then chunky salt sprinked over.

If you're interested, I'll get the recipe off of her (or as close to a recipe as she can get when she works along the lines of "a wee bit of this..........................")

Just to add, she buys the solution premixed :D

you already know we want that recipe:lol::crazy::wave:

You gave me the courage to try the lye method. Wow i can't believe the difference from the bs. My husband and children thank you. Thank you so very much!

I know, right? The difference in flavor is the same as between night and day. I don't know about you, but I'm now spoiled for life. lol I'll never go back to making them with the boiling baking soda method ever again. As lovely as the results with baking soda turn out, when I want a pretzel, I want a PRETZEL!, if you know what I mean. :wink:

I'm so glad you tried it and loved it. That makes my day. :D

I know exactly what you mean! I am actually about to start another batch now. Everyone loves them. With 6 boys plus my husband i decided on a double batch today.

Hopefully they get sick of them soon. They are awesome but time consuming, a once a week treat. I also really appreciate your flour blend.

I am unashamedly bumping this most excellent thread. Super Bowl weekend is fast approaching, and someone mentioned soft pretzels with cheesy dip as a munchie. That sounded awesome, and I thought of Irish Lass's thread about making soft pretzels with a real ol-fashioned lye wash. I think I can scare up a little lye somewhere 'round here ;) and I'm in the mood to finally to give this a try!

Back