And all us 'non thanks giving ' people are like....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had our dinner very early this year since I didn't want family driving down the hill in the dark while it was snowing. The plow guys are pretty good around here, but it always gets backed up on a holiday.

I'm sending out a big THANK YOU to the people that helped keep my daughter safe on the roads tonight. <makes mental note to buy coffee for the plowguys, policemen, tow drivers, and firemen I see at the quickie mart>

I was way on the other side of town at my sis's house out in the boondocks cooking, eating, gabbing, and helping to do lots and lots of dishes lol

IrishLass :)

...where did everyone go?
Thanksgiving and the 4th of July are the two holidays I work the hardest. I deep fried only two birds this year because we only had a few people. After that I render the bones down to stock, and make the best turkey soup ever!

I'm sending out a big THANK YOU to the people that helped keep my daughter safe on the roads tonight. <makes mental note to buy coffee for the plowguys, policemen, tow drivers, and firemen I see at the quickie mart>
I'd be surprised if the cops paid for coffee. Don't forget they have fire and police stations and those guys like coffee and donuts too!

Never seen a plow driver in a convenience store, but I'm with you on buying their coffee. I'd also love to tell them to quit driving as if they are flying fighter planes. If there's half an inch on the road I'd like to get around them and get going, not sit behind them for 50 miles as they form a wedge or a finger-four. :)

I was way on the other side of town at my sis's house out in the boondocks cooking, eating, gabbing, and helping to do lots and lots of dishes lol
IL somehow I picture that as a very loud kitchen. Just saying. :wave: :p

Here's one of the birds, did two at 13# each. Cooking a bird in 40 minutes is almost like cheating:

IMG_4492.JPG

The police almost certainly don't pay for coffee or soft drinks at convenience stores. As long as they bring their own cup (the stores pay the suppliers by how many cups get used). They don't down here, anyway. It is one way that convenience stores can encourage frequent police visits that help decrease armed robberies. However, if you want to do something for them, they would LOVE to have doughnuts or cookies delivered to the station right before shift change time.

Firefighters often work 24 hours shifts, so any time is great to bring them goodies.

ETA-Lee, that is one gorgeous bird. I can almost feel those lovely juices running down my throat.

I make stock and soup from the carcass, also.

We bought 4 turkeys (0.49/lb), 3 hams (0.53/lb), and 5 pork roasts (0.94/lb) this year during those pre-Thanksgiving sales. I loaded the deep freezer. I also found someone who sold really good sweet potatoes for 4 lbs for $1, so I got 25 lbs. We should be set for meat and sweet potatoes for a while.

Last edited:
We had our Thanksgiving celebration here with about 20 people. It rained, but remained warm enough for everyone to drive safely. This morning we woke up to ice.

For some reason I couldn't sleep Weds nite, so I made up for it Thursday. I didn't get up until 3 pm and missed my two dinners (1 pm at one house and 4 pm at another). I ate two huge bowls of raisin bran and planed and beveled some soap. All in all, it was an excellent holiday. Right up until I found the "gift" Shredder left for me on the living room floor. Thank heavens she didn't leave it in the bed like she did the turtle. I thought only cats were supposed to do junk like that! What a little monster she is.

Recovering from our food comas. *burp* scuse me.

You people and your snow. It was 60 degrees and sunny here in Alabama! As far as I can remember, we have ALWAYS had gorgeous, sunny weather on Turkey Day. Sometimes cold, but always sunny. It's hard to find cute holiday tops in light fabrics and short sleeves!

There's something "north" of Michigan? :confused:

Well, Shunt is Detroit area, so there is plenty of MI left north. The whole Upper Peninsula.

And then there is Canada.

Then you get to the glaciers and polar bears. Before than it is black bears and moose.

I came home to Texas for Thanksgiving. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, the works.

It's actually rainy and cold here, the temp is the same as it is in Lansing right now!!!

Wednesday I got an email from one of the young men that applied for a job with my agency a few years ago. He has to go through the process again (that's the government for ya!) and was letting me know he was scheduled to be tested in our Minneapolis office. I emailed back and asked him where he was living. He said South Dakota. I told him there is no way I would consider living that close to the North Pole or where people think 2 feet of snow is a "light dusting." I've been in the south for almost 24 years; I've been assimilated!

I live in the thanksgiving and Black Friday nation. I don't celebrate anything but did some shopping for my upcoming india trip, coming Tuesday. I also got myself a crock pot and couple of SBs in the cheap, to use for soaping after I come back.

I forgot about police getting free refills. Guess, I'll have to say thank you to them instead. :)

In my small town, *everyone* ends up at the convenience store at night. It's the last one open for 50 miles. I live in the town that one of the South Park creators grew up in... the theme song rings pretty true.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBNycllomM[/ame]

Yep, lots of Michigan north of me. my patents live about an hour or so from the upper peninsula. We had beautiful weather 60 degrees is unheard of this time of year. Especially with sun.

IL somehow I picture that as a very loud kitchen. Just saying. :wave: :p

Yep- you pictured correctly! We had at least 23 people all laughing and gabbing away. There might have been more than that, but I lost count after 23. lol

It was a beautiful, sunny 60F/15C day here with a slight breeze, which was a very good thing because of how many people we had.....i.e., since not all of us could fit at the big table indoors, my sis had set up a table outside on the patio to make sure everyone had a place to sit and eat. That's where hubby, son and myself ended up sitting...not unlike first Thanksgiving in that sense, lol.

We always have 2 turkeys- 1 deep-fried, and 1 roasted in the oven, as well as the usual mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie and apple pie....those are the set-in-stone dishes that my sis always makes. And beyond that, everyone who comes is encouraged to bring whatever other side dish, or bread, or drink, or dessert they desire to share with everyone- preferably homemade, but we are not exactly a group to turn our noses up at freely offered food, whether store-bought or not. lol

This year I brought butternut squash soup, Potica, chocolate cream pie, my usual fresh-fruit platter with dips, my usual devilled eggs. The latter 2 have turned into mainstays because they always seem to go over big, but if my suspicions are right, I have a feeling that my chocolate cream pie will end up becoming a mainstay, too, but then again, you can never go wrong with chocolate. When in doubt, make something with chocolate I always say. lol

I always go home with one of the carcasses (my sis keeps the other), so guess what I'll be busy making this weekend? lol If you ask me, there is no other post-thanksgiving dish on earth more glorious than homemade turkey soup.

IrishLass :)

Back