greetings and salutations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbag-bob

Reaction score
Hi :)

I just wanted to take a second and introduce myself... my name is Jeremy and I am from Canada particularly Edmonton Alberta and I have just started to take an interest in soap making. Full disclosure is I have struggled with addiction issues and am planning to use soap making as a way to channel my energy and creativity into something positive. I just happened to come across soap making online and find it very fascinating and look very much forward to creating soaps that I am proud of.

So far I have bought two books and am reading them as well as freqenting some soaping sites to learn the process and am starting to put together a recipe excel sheet to bring in my first base oils and essential oils to make my first batch.

I look forward to interacting with you all and i know I will have some questions along the way so I will thank you in advance if you will help me along. I will try to be an active member of the community and share my successes and mistakes with you all.

Kind Regards,
Jeremy :)

Welcome fellow Canadian! While books are great, I honestly believe that this forum is BETTER! There is some seriously great information here and some really talented, smart folks who know soapmaking in and out.

There is plenty of reading to be done here and make sure to stop in and let us check out your first recipe before you dive in!

Welcome Jeremy! :wave: Be prepared to be addicted to soapmaking, but do not worry- it's a positive, clean and very useful/practical addiction that will bring much enjoyment to yourself and to all those who use your soap. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Welcome aboard, Jeremy! We're glad you chose us to be part of your journey. I can't wait to see your first soap! And seriously, I have a lot of soap books, and they all went out the window when I found this forum. There's no book on earth that will help you more than this site. I learn something new everyday. The think about soap making is, the challenge is never over. Even when you have a fail (and you will....we all have), it's still most often a usable product. Keep us in the loop!

Welcome! I too don't recommend jumping into investing in books. I admit, if I see a soaping book for cheap someplace I pick it up - but they aren't really necessary. I suggest that you check out the books at your local library and if one of them really works for you, then purchase that.

What two books?

Thanks for the welcomes.

Too late on the books as they are already bought and paid for. I do plan on using this forum alot to further my knowledge the books are for bedtime reading and seem to be pretty good. not anything you couldn't find online but beats constantly looking at a computer screen.

The books I bought are : Pure Soap Making and Soap Crafting from Anne - Marie Faiola

they both cover techniques and have quite a few recipes.

Great introduction Jeremy, and I sincerely wish you success in your recovery.

I'll have to differ from others' opinion about the books, as sometimes reading them is the only way to get my soap fix. However, because of this forum I know which ones to take with a grain of salt. And also, reading different techniques and opinions , even from less than competent soap authors, can hone your knowledge as you'll become full of questions and need to seek out answers........and have even more reasons to join us!

I just wish there were more quality books on soap and it's history to read!

I think it's worth having books, if only to expose you to other ideas and ways of going about the subject. As you develop your skills and tastes, you'll take what works for you and leave the rest.

I find that having a creative outlet also keeps me out of trouble, and with everyone in various time zones it's a good alternative to the partying I used to do. I have much less of a life these days, but it's infinitely more satisfying.

Hopefully you find many avenues to explore and learn!

Back