New "picky shaver dude" here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psfred

Reaction score
With the help of this lovely forum I've manage to make a few batches of shaving soap that work really well.

I did cheat a bit -- I'm a chemist by trade.

I get the feeling I'll be up to my ears in soap soon, I have a tendency to sort of go overboard with new hobbies....

Peter

Congratulations on making your first soaps, Peter! Up to your ears in soap, eh? You'll find many kindred spirits here! Enjoy!

Lol, I'm sure one could end up with hundreds of pounds of soap trying all the possible variations of moisturizing superfats!

I do plan to try using some soy wax instead of stearic acid just so I won't be using palm products, but I really don't think there is much point in making soap with every available substance -- in the end, for shaving soap the requirement for high stearic/palmitic acid levels and need for oleic and linolenic acids limits what you can do.

Peter

Hi Peter and welcome! Congrats on the shaving soap. I'm still sorting out my recipes with several testers giving feed back. The one I'm most interested in is the guy that shaves his head and his face. Bit of a different razor technique & skin type I'm sure but still interesting, lol. I've got several females giving input too since the body parts we shave can be a bit more sensitive. My PVC pipe is lined and ready for my next batch!

Soaping is SO addicting......:crazy:

Welcome Peter! :wave: I'm sure you'll feel right at home amongst our many self-described "crazy wet shaving dudes" in no time!

IrishLass :)

Welcome!

I do plan to try using some soy wax instead of stearic acid just so I won't be using palm products

I use soy wax (Golden Foods 415) in both my shaving and bar soaps and I love it. It's easy to work with (no instant soap on a spoon), makes a hard and white bar), and it's cheap (I buy it 50 lbs at a time). And while it doesn't smell like lard when it's melting, it does remind me of the days when I worked as a baker and spent the nights standing over the doughnut frier (we used a soy-based shortening).

Greetings and salutations. I make my own shaving soap using soy wax and have had good luck with it. I've not yet experimented with a dual lye version. That's next up; though with all the shaving soap I have on hand now, it'll be next year before I'll need it!

Greetings and salutations. I make my own shaving soap using soy wax and have had good luck with it. I've not yet experimented with a dual lye version. That's next up; though with all the shaving soap I have on hand now, it'll be next year before I'll need it!

I didn't do the duel lye with mine--just KOH. Even so, it firms up beautifully and I'm able to pour (not glop!) it into a lined 4-inch PVC mold, let it gel, and remove the log for easy slicing. And I'm with you--I've got more than I'll ever need!

I didn't do the duel lye with mine--just KOH. Even so, it firms up beautifully and I'm able to pour (not glop!) it into a lined 4-inch PVC mold, let it gel, and remove the log for easy slicing. And I'm with you--I've got more than I'll ever need!

I'm a total heathen-I used 100% NaOH because I didn't have any KOH at the time. But any one that says that shaving soap can't be made without KOH, I'm here to tell you that is incorrect.

Latest posts

Back