No Butters Lip Balm/Hand Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I needed to make some winter formulation lip balm, and wanted to try to make it without any butters that might become grainy for those of you who use shrink wraps. I love it(but then I love all my lip balms.)

Beeswax 21 g
Coconut Oil 10 g
Lanolin 6 g
Olive Oil 14 g
Lard 16 g
Jojoba 7 g
Avocado Oil 7 g
Vitamin E 1 capsule

If I had to do this over, I would probably cut out the Avocado Oil and add that amount to the Lard. I will probably do a variation on this for summer. I am using this to "seal in" my lotion on my hands and elbows. Works beautifully.

That looks awesome, Susie, you enabler, you! It has two of my favorite ingredients in it- lanolin and lard! I've found that those 2 ingredients bring so much to the table.

Although I use lanolin in my lip balms all the time now (it makes for such an awesome, lovely addition), I've never considered using lard in them as well.

Hmmmm.. Methinks I feel another experiment coming on!!!

Thank you for sharing!

IrishLass :)

I was thinking I needed a "solid at room temperature" oil to help take the place of the butters. I think it is probably the best winter balm I have made. It will need additional beeswax for summer, though.

Oh, gosh, I wish I had known about lanolin a year ago! LOVE that stuff in balms!

Oh, gosh, I wish I had known about lanolin a year ago! LOVE that stuff in balms!

I completely concur! :) I discovered it's loveliness fairly recently, too- maybe only a year or 2 ago- and have been using it in all my lip balms ever since.

It's so wonderful that I just can't see ever making my balms without it. I even use it as high as 10% in one of them. I found it to provide that extra bit of clingy occlusiveness that was missing from my balms.

My hubby and son love it. They go hiking a lot and it helps keep their lips hydrated out in the elements without having to re-apply often.

IrishLass :)

Back