Felting Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to put an image on a felted soap?

I want to have a template on top of the felted soap so I can follow the lines to felt a design.

Also any tips on felting would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you, sweet.
I have searched the Forums, but there is only one question about felting a pattern on top of the soap & there were no responses.

I need to know if a pattern is used & how it is transferred to the felting on the soap & if all this is done after the soap is felted.

I watched several youTube videos recently about felting soap. From what I gathered, there are a couple of ways to go about creating designs. One person said she likes to stitch a design on the felted soap after felting is done, because she wanted the designs to be very crisp and clear. Her work looked a lot like crewel embroidery. She said if the design is created before felting, the design is more, um, fuzzy, and the other videos I watched did produce soft "fuzzy" designs. I didn't see anyone using a pattern really -- it looked to me like the designs were all fairly free form and were being stitched without any guide markings on the felt. Maybe someone does use a pattern, but these folks were not. I hope this helps. --DeeAnna

Thank you DeeAnna

How would I transfer a pattern onto the felted soap?Any ideas?

Mine are pretty crude, but I use a mini cookie cutter for the outline for my critters, then add eyes and a woollie fleece back, and if I'm really ambitious, feetsies, ears or other extras. Would love to hear more about advanced techniques too!

Thank you, paillo

Is there something that can be used to draw on the felted soap?

I can't speak from experience with felted soap -- think it's interesting but I haven't tried it. But based on my general sewing experience, I might try a tailors' chalk pencil. It looks just like a colored pencil, and you sharpen it just like a regular pencil, but it is formulated to wash out of fabrics. It can be found at fabric/craft stores. Tailors' chalk usually comes in several colors -- I remember pink, blue, and white. Choose the color that contrasts with your felt color.

You can needle felt on the design if you know how to needle felt. Otherwise with a simple pattern you could possibly lay on different color spots of roving. I make or rather made stained glass looking felted soap by laying pieces of color on top of the main color of roving

Latest posts

Back