Types of plastic for containers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariflo

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am trying to find the best plastic type for cream/shea whip/lipbalm/liquid soap containers. I know glass would be the best option but unfortunately it would add up quite a lot to shipping costs...
There are many information sources out there and I've come across quite a few. Unfortunatey there are different opinions about the same products. Is there a reliable source that you know of, and if so, would you be willing to share it? pretty please!! :) I tend not to trust wikipedia and the top finds of a search engine with this kind of information.
I am looking for the properties of the material and how it would behave under different conditions, something like plastic types fact sheets or any reliable source of information about this. If someone wanted to soften his cream and put the whole plastic container in the microwave for example, would poisonous chemicals leech out of the container into the cream?
There are many different plastic codes that suppliers list on their websites and apparently they are all safe. For some reason I'd feel better if I did my own research (which I am trying to do at the moment) :)
As examples of plastic codes that I've come across on suppliers' websites: PS, PETG, PE, PP, ABS, ... etc.
Thank you for all your help and patience!
mari :)

Thank you Irena!
PET seems to be a very common type of plastic and they say it's also heat resistant. All our water bottles here are PET1.
Thanks again,
mari :)

Back