Casting Bubbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread is for casting old bubbles once and for all. The first was made last summer, and the flower was inspired by last February's ebru challenge.

Am I the only one with soaps that have never been shown? Let them be free!

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

I have a ton! But I have to get them over to photobucket first, before I can post any, I have mainly been posting them on my soaping instagram account.

Those are pretty but what really gets me is the sparkles in the brown. Did it stay sparkly after it set up? What colorant is it?

Nope, not even remotely. It's Nurture's Mocha Brown.

I have a ton! But I have to get them over to photobucket first, before I can post any, I have mainly been posting them on my soaping instagram account.

Say whaaat? You're posting soaps where we can't see them??? What's up with that, girl?

Funny you should ask. Some friends and I are having a yard sale tomorrow, and I found my first digital camera and thought I'd put it in the "to go" pile. I wanted to check the memory card first to see if there was anything on it, and sure enough, I found a soap pic. It's from 2003, and you can see I've stayed true to form. I made plain soap then, and I make plain soap now! lol

DCP_3534.jpg

Say whaaat? You're posting soaps where we can't see them??? What's up with that, girl?

I know, I KNOW, right?? Sorry to keep ya`ll out of the loop, but I am having computer troubbles big time, it randomly shuts down everytime I start to do anything other than writing (sometimes it even shuts down in mid-sentence writing here too, and I have to re-start and do everything all over again... o_O )
We have a friend coming over when he have some time to spare. He suspected it was a fan/overheating issue. I have lost data over this, so need to be taken care of, and don`t want to do anything until this is fixed. So Instagram has been my soapy posting outlet : D

This thread is for casting old bubbles once and for all. The first was made last summer, and the flower was inspired by last February's ebru challenge.

Am I the only one with soaps that have never been shown? Let them be free!

What does 'casting old bubbles' mean? It is a term I have never run across before.

Incidentally, your posted soaps are pretty.

I wanted to check the memory card first to see if there was anything on it, and sure enough, I found a soap pic. It's from 2003, and you can see I've stayed true to form. I made plain soap then, and I make plain soap now! lol

Nav, your soap is rad! Those shadows and edges do wonderful justice for beautiful, elegant, naked soap. I too am drawn to plain soap even tho I often mess with colors. Color is sort of a weird addiction, and it's always nice to get back to basics.

Here's my first batch ever; I recently copied it over from an old external hard drive. I sure wish I still had a bar.

ETA: The photo was taken December 28, 2011. Notice the soap ball -- proof I had already been lurking the forum!

Buttery & Nice Batch 1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, CaraBou. :) Even though I'm terrible at swirling, I don't mind so much, because I really do like the look of a plain bar. And I love your first soaps, too. Isn't it funny the fondness we have for those very first soaps? I guess at that point, we couldn't imagine how much they would mean to us one day. It's good that we at least have the pictures!

Here's a picture of some of my old bubble castings that has never seen the light of day. It dates from my first years of soaping, circa 2005/6.

Taking it from the chocolaty top and going clockwise:

-My first soap using cocoa powder as a swirl. The brownness in the rest of the soap is from the chocolate FO I used;
-A bar from my second ever salt soap batch (peach scented);
-One of my first soaps using tallow;
-My first ever 100% Castile, made with EVOO (from leftover batter poured into a MilkyWay mold);
-Another bar from my second-ever salt soap batch (from left-over batter poured into a MilkyWay mold);
-Another bar from my chocolate batch pictured at the top of the circle (from left-over batter poured into a MilkyWay mold);
-My first ever salt soap batch (scented with Salty Mariner)

IMG_3612Vintage Soaps640.JPG

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, I am not seeing your picture. I noticed that in another thread you posted, too. I don't know why your pictures aren't showing up for me. (The other post where I can't see your photo is: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=648140#post648140).

I haven't noticed anyone else's photos missing from their posts, so with your first post I thought it was just not posted. But now it's happened twice, it seems something else is going on. I don't know if it's on my end or what. Just thought I'd mention it.

P.S. Re: casting bubbles. I looked for some photos from early soaps and realized I never took any pictures when I first started making soap. It appears I didn't take any photos until I'd been soaping for 6 months. And even since then I have some soaps for which I have no pictures at all. A couple I really like the looks off have no pictures in my computer. I need to remedy that before I give the rest of them away. I hope I still have a couple of the tomato soaps I made almost a year ago, as those looked pretty cool to me, but I can't find a single picture.

IrishLass, I am not seeing your picture. I noticed that in another thread you posted, too. I don't know why your pictures aren't showing up for me. (The other post where I can't see your photo is: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=648140#post648140).

I haven't noticed anyone else's photos missing from their posts, so with your first post I thought it was just not posted. But now it's happened twice, it seems something else is going on. I don't know if it's on my end or what. Just thought I'd mention it.

Just hit your refresh button. :)

IrishLass :)

Here are some photos of some soaps I made last year.

The first is a soap I like very much. It started out as a shampoo bar, but ended up being what I call 'Earlene's Luxury Bar' because it feels so luxurious on my skin. This is one of my favorite bath bars. I haven't run out so haven't made it again, but one day soon, I plan to make some more so I don't run out.

Earlenes%20Luxury%20Bar%20-%202016Jan16.jpg

Next are a couple of experimental Tomato soaps I made last July. They are both dual lye recipes (95%NaOH/5%KOH), but the recipes are different. Both have tomato sauce and buttermilk. The tomato sauce did not really color the soap at all, as you can see by the 'Green Tomato' soap below. The white in the design is uncolored batter; the greens are from two different shades of green micas. I named the soap due to it's color and that it's made with tomatoes, with a thought to the book and movie, Fried Green Tomatoes.

Green%20Tomato%20Soap%20-%202016June30.jpg

The other dual lye tomato soap shows such deep color because of the Dragon's Blood FO and I used an orange-red colorant and a green colorant, plus plain uncolored batter for the Cosmic Swirl. It was with this soap that I realized I love the fragrance of Dragon's Blood.

Tomato%20Cosmic%20Swirl%20Soap%20-%202016July01.jpg

How smart you were, Lass, to have taken a group photo in the early days. They look wonderful together, and like every great family, they compliment each other so well even with their differences!

Here's a picture of some of my old bubble castings that has never seen the light of day. It dates from my first years of soaping, circa 2005/6.

I love your photography earlene, it creates great moods. But I must say the green tomato pulls my eye the most, probably for the cute labels!

Here are some photos of some soaps I made last year.

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this one before either. It's Kombucha soap I made for my SIL who loves and makes her own Kombucha Tea. I just substituted bottled Kombucha tea for water in the lye solution. An extra tall container and slow mixing is essential to avoid a lye boil over when using Kombucha tea. I believe I made these in May of 2016. Both were done HP.

Kombucha%20Soaps%2020160528.jpg

One of many 'Old & New Soaps' I've made is this layered one. Not the prettiest re-batch I've ever made, but not too horrible looking either.

I used TD and some other colors I had on hand. Obviously HP. These are already in shrink wrap, but not labeled yet.

New%20amp%20Old%20Soap%20-%202016July08.jpg

Latest posts

Back