dragging marks when cutting soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
I have the tank and it leaves dragging marks, I assume from the wires.
Is there a trick to avoid it? I pretty much cut, right after unmolding.Could the soap be to soft?

I have a tank also and the only time I get drag marks is when the wires aren't totally clean. If I've cut, then don't wipe the wires well and there is residue, and I cut again... I get dragola!!
Could this be the issue for you?

I get drag if I have any herbs embedded on top. I always clean mine after I use it but I forgot a spot once and had a drag mark.

I cut all my soaps from the bottom now, unless I have a textured top, in which case I turn it on the side to cut. And clean the wires religiously between cuts. For a regular batch I cut 2-3 days after unmolding (except now I'm in love with SL so I'm cutting the same day, but that's another topic!).

I always top my soap with something since I still haven't got swirling down. I never would have figured out something as simple as turning it upside down to avoid drag marks. My soap has always had big lines down it, the coffee beans where the worst!!! So thank you for that simple tip.

Soapy Gurl said:
I always top my soap with something since I still haven't got swirling down. I never would have figured out something as simple as turning it upside down to avoid drag marks. My soap has always had big lines down it, the coffee beans where the worst!!! So thank you for that simple tip.

LOL- me either! I never even thought of it- thanks for the tip!

I know that there are ways to clean./polish up soap before you put it out for purchase. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pull up any ideas that might work without getting the soap too wet.

To our more advanced soapers: What do you do to clean up your soaps besides edging? I know its good to practice it for the sake of getting it down pat so it doesn't take forever but what would work escapes my brain.

All I do is clean up the hard edges of the bar using a soft cloth. I don't do anything fancy. I'm happy that it looks artisan made and not like every other bar of soap on the store shelf. I did try the pantyhose trick once, but apparently I lack the knack. Didn't seem to do much for me. I also tried beveling, but quickly decided life was too short to fuss with that for each bar. I didn't want to start doing something that was going to eventually be too time-consuming for the return on it.

BakingNana said:
All I do is clean up the hard edges of the bar using a soft cloth. I don't do anything fancy. I'm happy that it looks artisan made and not like every other bar of soap on the store shelf. I did try the pantyhose trick once, but apparently I lack the knack. Didn't seem to do much for me. I also tried beveling, but quickly decided life was too short to fuss with that for each bar. I didn't want to start doing something that was going to eventually be too time-consuming for the return on it.

This...exactly how I feel. I did the bevel and all that. Now I just clean up edges- buff it with a cloth and some water and your good to go.

I don't want my soap to look commercial anyway. No offense, but I think some are trying too hard to make their soap look very commercial and it isn't appealing- it takes away from handmade.

I use 'individually cut' as part of my selling ideal, as it goes along with homemade products.

I give my bars of soap a 'polish' with a cloth or if they need a bit more of a rub to smooth them, I use a panty hose. I guess I spend about 30 seconds on each bar ... maybe a little less. I don't bevel the edges as I like them just smoothed with a cloth and homemade looking.

I don't like the look of soap that's too tidy and called homemade ... it makes me doubt the honestly of the 'homemade' claim.

Im getting a lot of drag marks. Im using a knife and a mitre box. If I clean my knife after each cut will that reduce the drag marks. Ive left my soaps in there loaf for over 4 days.

To our more advanced soapers: What do you do to clean up your soaps besides edging? I know its good to practice it for the sake of getting it down pat so it doesn't take forever but what would work escapes my brain.

I do more than most, knock off sharpe edges with a cake knife, then wash the soap with a nylon and sometimes with a soft nail rush. Soaps never look mass-produced. People here do not like the look of SA.

I use a tape measure to mark 1" test cuts, then use a razor sharp Wusthoff chef's knife and cut after like 2 or 3 days when it's not too hard or too soft. If there's garnish on the top it will leave marks so cut the bottom. Everything else is minutia and not worth considering.

Latest posts

Back