What a DISASTER!!! Whyyyyyyy :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You rebatch in a zip lock bag? You put the bag in water right?

I have done lots of rebatch, at least 10 loafs, but I use my soap crock pot where I do hot process. If you rebatch and went through the whole process like in hot, you can use them within 2 weeks, but is better if at least you wait 4. And if like others say your recipe had lots of water, maybe longer, so you have a firmer bar, but if it went through the whole process should be safe now.

How exactly did you do it? Your bars should not be crumbly on the bottom, and when I have rebatch the colors become unified, and you have several white specs?

Not sure, just trying to help. I have pictures on my gallery of rebatch soap.

So I put all my shredded soap in a zip lock bag and doubled it - there was white and purple in the soap

I put it into the boiling water and it took over an hour for it to start melting.. so as it was melting I would take bag out and try to knead the melted into un melted.. it all finally looked evenly melted. Took about 2 hours and a bit .. it was like hot wax mess.. I put it all in mold and that was what came out

Yes I gota invest in crock pot -and I was going to do it in a double boiler method BUT I didn't have a large enough glass container that it would all fit into , so I could double boil it - it was a lot of soap for just being 1.5 lbs - bottom line I didn't want to do two batches of rebach cause I knew it was going to take forever ..

No good ? :( .. oh I did add about a tbsp of milk to the dry shredded soap
Before it all started to melt together .. ya it looks crumbly on some bottoms but other bars seem ok and firm - I tried breaking apart - I had to cut by hand cause my soap cutter couldn't cut one bar , it got stuck half way and I didn't want the wire to snap

Im thinking mayb I didn't press down enough once in mold and it hardened with air bubbles ? Cause some have air bubbles -small holes in middle or sides of bars - ughh it looked easy BUT I knew rebatching was not from all the threads I read

I am going to mention one other thing, which does not apply to your fast trace. The combination of CO and PKO at your percentages is going to make a soap that many would find to harsh. PKO is very similiar in cleansing properties as CO since it has higher Myristic and Lauric properties. It can be used without CO for bubbles in soap. Babassu, PKO and CO are bubbly oils. Palm Oil is not the same, it is made from the fruit of the palm while PKO is made from the Kernel

I am going to mention one other thing, which does not apply to your fast trace. The combination of CO and PKO at your percentages is going to make a soap that many would find to harsh. PKO is very similiar in cleansing properties as CO since it has higher Myristic and Lauric properties. It can be used without CO for bubbles in soap. Babassu, PKO and CO are bubbly oils. Palm Oil is not the same, it is made from the fruit of the palm while PKO is made from the Kernel

I wish I would have ASKED about the difference between PKOF and palm oil here before! Because I thought it was the SAME ! :( :( now I find out it's not ! And that's what's been messing me up with recipes - I haven't been able to make a good all veg batch cause I can't seem to come up with a good list of oils to mix together and the% - most recipes I see are with palm oil NOT PKO .. I'm struggling here lol

That's what happened with this disaster.. I thought hey they are all oils - what can go wrong???!!! Welll there it is - hot mess

Can you rebatch twice????

Should I try to rebatch with half the bars into a double boiler method and see if it completely melts again and try it again - or that's no longer an option??

I've been sticking to the lard recipe with most of my soaps - which I like a lot .. but I really wanted to try something diff- and I have a couple vegetarian friends I wanted to share my soaps with

Well I have no idea why your soap may crumble in the bottom. Plus what kind of milk did you use? Was it frozen or at room temperature? Not sure if that would make a difference in rebatching though.

I have never done it the way you explain, I cannot say if it is good or not, because I have no experience in that method. Personally I do not like the plastic bag idea. It can get really hot, not sure how the bag fairs.

I can admit of doing something that I shouldn't sometimes when I have rebatch. I have a stainless steel pot like the ones used for candles, dedicated only for soap. I do not double water ( I know, I know). What I do is put 3 or 4 layers of aluminum foil between the burner and the pot, and it seems to work just fine.

My personal opinion is that if you have never done something before, not to put stuff that you never know what can do like the milk. I would have added a little bit of distilled water, maybe more color if I wanted to change it. And perhaps a tad of fragrance to spice it up.

Not sure what the others think, as I have never rebatch twice, but maybe you can do it again? Get a pot or a crock pot? Mine at Walmart only cost me 13 dollars. Just only add water this time. But check your soap is not lye heavy.

I made the same mistake once with the palm oil and the palm kernel oil. I did not make the mistake on my batch, because when I went to use the soapee calculator, I realized it was different, so I adjusted accordingly. So don't feel bad.

I have learn so much soaping, and specially learned even more when I joined this forum. If you do not make mistakes, how will you learn?

Thx for the great advise ... I honestly don't think its lye heavy - it didn't zap to me.. it was more of a salty soap taste .. I think I will rebatch and cross my fingers - double boiler method perhaps . It's easier said than done .. or yes the crock pots aren't too expensive I should just grab one ..

Thank you for your time and help .. really appreciated

Not stupid. Anything new in soaping is kind of daunting. Even after a long time soaping, I almost always mess up the first time I do anything new. Chin up :) Just rebatch and try again.

Not stupid. Anything new in soaping is kind of daunting. Even after a long time soaping, I almost always mess up the first time I do anything new. Chin up :) Just rebatch and try again.

Thx ! It's silly but it can really put you down ..
but I'm Gona rebatch.. I don't wanna give up on this batch

I use 1 - 2 teaspoons of salt per pound of oils and 1 teaspoon of clay ppo.

You might want to try confetti as an alternative to HP rebatching. It is so easy and can be pretty. Shred your soap and make a new batch. Weigh the confetti and add 100g of confetti to 100g new mix you can adjust this and can also use it for just part of the mix.

IMG_6515.JPG

I use 1 - 2 teaspoons of salt per pound of oils and 1 teaspoon of clay ppo.

You might want to try confetti as an alternative to HP rebatching. It is so easy and can be pretty. Shred your soap and make a new batch. Weigh the confetti and add 100g of confetti to 100g new mix you can adjust this and can also use it for just part of the mix.

Very NICE! thats a great looking soap!
I will have to do the confetti, because I tried rebatching it again.... it turned better but not by much

it was an overall mess recipe, all the wrong oils mixed together and too much clay - it was a bad day to soap lol its a nice purple color , so I will shred and see how that goes..

thx for the tip , greatly appreciated

Back