What a DISASTER!!! Whyyyyyyy :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never made cupcakes, so I have no idea about the cream. First I heard of it. A hard oil like lard is good enough for me to get the batter through the pipes.

Maybe you can send the whole thing through the crock pot and make a batch of HP soap :)

Haha .. thank you you are right lol

Almond 5%
CCO. 25%
OO. 35%
Palm flakes. 20%
Shea butter. 5%
Canola oil. 10%

1.5 lb batch

5% cream + kaolin clay 1tbsp
1 tbsp 1/4 FO. From a Canadian place - suds n scent

And the 1 tbsp salt

Your recipe does not include your total liquid, so perhaps we don't have enough information. What was your lye concentration? Or did you use the default in your lye calculator?

Also what were your temperatures?

I'd guess that 50% hard oils played a part in the fast trace. CO heats up fast. PKO speeds things up, like mentioned already.

Kaolin Clay, I think thickens the batter to some degree. I have not used clays very often, but I seem to recall some do thicken the batter.

Add the possibility that you soaped sort of warm (I'm guessing; I don't know) and perhaps all that contributed to a speedy trace.

I don't know your vendor, Suds n Scents, but the description on their website does not address if their Black Raspberry & Vanilla FO accelerates or not. And there are no customer reviews that I could find. All it says is that it does not discolor CP soap. http://www.sudsandscents.com/Mercha...de=SAS&Product_Code=FO-2026&Category_Code=FO1

However, all the reviews I've read for this FO by other vendors say it doesn't accelerate, so I probably wouldn't suspect the FO unless I had made this recipe without any problems before trying the FO for the first time.

So that's the question. Have you ever made this recipe before and if so, did you have problems? Or is it the first time using this recipe?

Oh, one other thing, just to be sure. Was your OO regular or pomace? (Pomace also accelerates trace, in my experience.)

Omg this recipe was all wrong cause YES it was pomace .. and all the reviews on the FO say it behaves well ... so it my messy recipe that I used ...

The calculation were as follows : it was set on default so on a 1.5 lb batch
Liquids --- 9.12 oz
Lye ---- 3.52 oz

Almond 5%
CCO. 25%
OO -- pomace 35%
Palm flakes. 20%
Shea butter. 5%
Canola oil. 10%

5% cream + kaolin clay 1tbsp
1 tbsp 1/4 FO

And the 1 tbsp salt

And the cream mess up was ----- 4.16 oz of cream and 4.96 oz water ( I have no idea how I made this mistake - I guess it was a bad day for soaping )

And the rest is history A big hard messy one

And I have another factor that no one has mentioned -- how you are mixing your batter. Most of us as beginners did too much mixing too fast, so I wonder if that has contributed to your problems.

You said you brought the soap batter to light trace. If you want the time to divide the batter, mix in color, and do other fancy work, then you went too far initially. Emulsion is the stage you want at first -- you want to stop the initial mixing sooner. By the time you mix in the color and scent and are ready to pour, you're likely to be at light trace.

Next thing is to evaluate how much you're using your stick blender to get to the thickness you want. How many seconds do you think you used your stick blender to get to light trace with this batch? If it's more than, oh, 3-5 seconds total in short bursts separated by periods of hand stirring, then try this -- Stick blend for one second. Hand stir for 20 seconds. SB another second. Hand stir. Evaluate the batter. Is it staying well mixed when you use your spatula to lift the batter at the bottom up to the top? If not, SB another second, hand stir, and evaluate. If the batter is staying emulsified, then go on to dividing, coloring, etc.

My mental picture about stick blending is the more seconds of SB'ing I do, the more I "rev up" the saponification engine and the faster the soap batter tends to thicken. You can always SB more later on if you want to get the batter to thicken faster, but once you rev up the batter with too much stick blending, you can't take that away.

Thank you because I swear I hate SB cause I feel I over do it or under do it ... but that was a great review ... that helps a lot ..

I did SB until it was thin --- yes :( more than I should of now I see that , I should of done to emulsion then stopped ... it's so strange cause this is my 10 th batch of soap and the worst one .. all these mistakes I made and I'm just realizing them now! I didn't see them at the moment --- I was too excited for the cupcakes and new FO

I'm such a rookie !

Oh and I was soaping at about 85 lye solution and oils like 100 I think .. the oils were sitting there for a while almost had a thin layer on top

My rule of thumb ... if I'm asking myself, "Oh, gee, why not one more little blast on the SB'er just to make sure?" then I need to Put the Stick Blender Down.

I don't always follow my own rule, but when I do, it works. I have yet to have a batch of soap separate in the mold due to emulsion failure. (knock on wood!)

My rule of thumb ... if I'm asking myself, "Oh, gee, why not one more little blast on the SB'er just to make sure?" then I need to Put the Stick Blender Down.

I don't always follow my own rule, but when I do, it works. I have yet to have a batch of soap separate in the mold due to emulsion failure. (knock on wood!)

Thank you for all your great advise :)

Don't worry about the failed batch, all of us has the same mistake but you still have your blackberry embeds that's successful. Keep on making...

You're welcome, Honestly I am not a very good soaper but I keep on trying lol.

Hey.. practise makes .. perfect ?? !!!
We all try our best ... and your soaps are great! Not bad at all !!! I saw all and they were very nice ... this obsession is not easy lol it takes a lot of trial and error ..

Hey.. practise makes .. perfect ?? !!!

We all try our best ... and your soaps are great! Not bad at all !!! I saw all and they were very nice ... this obsession is not easy lol it takes a lot of trial and error ..

Thank you. True soaping isn't easy but I enjoy it and I don't mind if isn't that look so good. But much better than buying in the store.

So this is my rebatch .. I did it in a zip lock bag .. that's all I had ..
Some of the bars have crumbly bottoms the rest are pretty firm .. I lathered up a small piece and it was good

So can I safely say it rebatched well?? Is the soap usable??
How long does it take to cure???

All replies are appreciated

Thank you all

IMG_0973.jpg

If your hands didn't start to itch holding and using your soap, you are probably safe that it isn't lye heavy. You can also zap test - wet your finger and rub some soap on it from the middle of the bar. If you don't get a zing (like a battery), it's good.

Curing is a different animal - sounds like you have a lot of liquid in your soap. New experiment.... Weigh your bars - or one or two of them once a week. When the weight only changes a minimal amount, than the liquid has evaporated and your soap is ready. It's easy and gets you ready to start documenting about your soaps.

Soap takes about 6 weeks to cure but you can start to use a bar in a week so you can see the difference in the lather and your recipe as time progresses. A fresh bar will not last as long nor be ideal in terms of lather but it's a good learning tool to watch it as it ages.

As long as it doesn't zap when you touch your tongue to it, it is useable. How you like that recipe will depend on the ultimate test of washing.

You may have used CO + PKO in a different recipe but the % those make up of the entire recipe can affect the outcome. Between those two, they make up 45% of the oils and both can speed up trace. Pomace is known to trace faster that regular OO and then the butter adds yet another one that hastens trace. I would guess it has more to do with the recipe and how much your blended than the FO, but the FO could have contributed. Plenty of FO's are labeled as behaving and not accelerating but they do, just not to the degree that florals and other do. I have found that to be the case far too often.

Ya it sounded like my recipe was all wrong .. that's what happens when you don't know about the oils and are trying to experiment.. I was trying to do a soap without the lard and it seized on me - you live and learn . I just didn't want to waste it , as long as it's useable I'm ok with the meatloaf look lol but that pomace oil is a savage - cause I did use it in another recipe and it thickened up really quick too . I just didn't know what went wrong then - the soap turned out but I literally threw it in the mold and it worked out - NOW I know what went wrong .. I'm having a hard time using the oils I have on hand to make a good recipe .. I just don't want to ruin anymore batches ! I'm almost scared to do another one with the same oils -

This soap left my hands really moist lol I lathered up and didn't feel no itch - I also did a zap test and it tasted a bit like soap would and salt ! Lol I tasted the salt in this one

You rebatch in a zip lock bag? You put the bag in water right?

I have done lots of rebatch, at least 10 loafs, but I use my soap crock pot where I do hot process. If you rebatch and went through the whole process like in hot, you can use them within 2 weeks, but is better if at least you wait 4. And if like others say your recipe had lots of water, maybe longer, so you have a firmer bar, but if it went through the whole process should be safe now.

How exactly did you do it? Your bars should not be crumbly on the bottom, and when I have rebatch the colors become unified, and you have several white specs?

Not sure, just trying to help. I have pictures on my gallery of rebatch soap.

Back