Shelf Life of Your Bath Bombs and Bulk Ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuMur

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm very new here to this rather superb collective!, but I just wondered if I could ask you all what you've found your general shelf life is of your home made bath bombs and such? I have just started making them, and I find mine don't keep their fizz for too long. I have bought bulk ingredients to make a large batch of bath bombs more affordably.. does the unused citric acid go flat quickly, and how do you wrap or store your fresh bombs to ensure they stay super fresh? I was thinking about putting them in space bags and sucking out the air.. am I too enthusiastic?! :)

In my experience stored citric acid after 3 months starts loosing its potency. But I could be wrong. The other stuff has very long life shelf. I asked customer service at BB, and the poly 80 has a 2 year shelf life.

My bombs always float well, but I just used one that was 6 month old, and it sank. It was hard as a rock, so I guess I will continue to make mine and try to use them within a month.

Maybe others can chime in that have more experience on that.

The common note I see on ingredients is to use bulk ingredients within a year of receiving them and use the item you made within a year. (I've already failed at this because I have a 10# bag of citric acid that I forgot about and am now trying to use a chelator to use up)

An example being the lotion bases I just got to play with: I added scent to one and have the expectation that I need to use it up in the next 12 months.

I am making them when I need it, my CA is probably 7 months old but I keep it in tightly closed bucket, In my basement i keep 40% humidity and did not notice any loss of potency
Do you really think bulk barn or our suppliers order small amount? No for them the most economical is to order a lot. You have no idea how long CA sat in warehouse

Latest posts

Back