Can you see it???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
It's a pepper!!!!!!!!!!! I can't compete with Irish Lass' garden tower but to my defense, it's been a very cool and rainy spring here, so the garden is coming along slooooowly, but today it's in the 90s and I went out to water the garden and what did I find? A pepper! I can't tell you how excited I am. Some of the tomatoes have flowers, but this is an actual pepper! These are Thunderbolts, sweet and delicious, but I confess I grow them partially because they are so beautiful. http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/pepper-sweet-thunderbolt-hybrid-prod003517.html I also have nine, count them, NINE tomato plants, because I just can never get enough tomatoes. No matter how many there are, I always want more, and the season here is so short, you have to just eat as many as you can while they last, which is never long enough. And it's nice to be able to share them with friends. Also some cukes and zucchini, and some habaneros and sugar snap peas, two kinds of basil and some cilantro.

Now if I can just keep the critters away. Something's already been digging in my square foot garden bed. And I notice the chipmunks are digging holes in the yard not too far away from the veggies. I sprinkled crushed red pepper around the veggies, and haven't noticed any digging since. I think I'll sprinkle some crushed pepper in the chipmunk's hole too. Maybe I need to put Scout on patrol! :twisted:

tbolt.jpg

Oh wow that's a pretty pepper! I want to make sauce with it!!! We have been making some fermented hot sauces. First batch was with Thai peppers from the garden, onions and garlic - and it's so good we already used the bottle up! Then we made batches with habaneros and carrots, with onion, tomato and garlic (hubbys is mostly habanero with a little carrot, mine is mostly carrot with a little habanero) that are percolating now. We have 6 spicy and 1 sweet peppers growing, but most aren't producing yet - except for the valiant Thai pepper plant.

And I only have 5 tomato plants, but the San Marzanos and Romas are already giving me some love...

Only nine tomato plants?

I know, right? Maybe next year I'll start another SFG devoted to only tomatoes! :)

Oh wow that's a pretty pepper! I want to make sauce with it!!! We have been making some fermented hot sauces. First batch was with Thai peppers from the garden, onions and garlic - and it's so good we already used the bottle up! Then we made batches with habaneros and carrots, with onion, tomato and garlic (hubbys is mostly habanero with a little carrot, mine is mostly carrot with a little habanero) that are percolating now. We have 6 spicy and 1 sweet peppers growing, but most aren't producing yet - except for the valiant Thai pepper plant.

And I only have 5 tomato plants, but the San Marzanos and Romas are already giving me some love...

I love hot sauce, and habs are my favorite hot pepper. They have such a yummy, almost fruity after taste. Sadly, my habs are taking off verrrry slowly, they're still tiny. Such a funny spring. You're lucky to be getting some tomato love already, there in So Cal. Here in New England, there's no love yet. Not even close. After I eat a few off the vine, and on top of avocado toast, and in a BLT, and a few salads, I want to make a tart like this. Ohhhhhhhh..................tomatoes!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/87046205275582606/

That tart looks so good!! Cool, well cold actually, spring here too so our garden is off to a slow start as well. Replanted beets today - a little bunny must have squeezed its way in and nibbled off what was coming up. Those wascally wabbits.

I stew and freeze the tomatoes we aren't able to eat. Makes great chili all winter long.

That tart looks so good!! Cool, well cold actually, spring here too so our garden is off to a slow start as well. Replanted beets today - a little bunny must have squeezed its way in and nibbled off what was coming up. Those wascally wabbits.

I stew and freeze the tomatoes we aren't able to eat. Makes great chili all winter long.

Eeek, I have rabbits too. I just went out and put some more crushed pepper around the garden. Fingers crossed. You're making me think about a fence, hmmmm.

Mmmm...nice garden tomatoes for chili in the winter sounds good too!

Awesome!
Though its good to hear others had a bad Spring too.

I was so exited to start sowing indoors in February and be ready to get everything outside early this year and then the bad weather sets in in Aprils and ruins everything. Then I got side tracked by soap making... But me and my siblings finally got together and planted nearly everything in our quite sizeable vegetable garden today, so nice being done with that. And now it's raining like crazy, isn't it nice when nature wants to co-operate with you!

Back