Advice on first recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilyandlove

Reaction score
I want to start collecting ingredients for my first batch of soap and could use some advice. I was going to get BB's Natural Soap Kit for Beginners but really really want to make palm free soaps from the start. I'm not opposed to using animal products, but keep staying away from it...

Anyway, here's what I have right now. I wanted to still make the Orange soap from BB's kit, but looking to do the oils myself (instead of their premixed oil bag).

Olive Oil 40%
Coconut Oil 30%
Shea Butter 15%
Rice Bran Oil 15%

Sodium Lactate

Orange 10X Essential Oil
Orange Peel Powder

Lye and Water

How does it look? Should I look into using lard in place of something or in addition to what I already have? Or does it look like I can keep it animal product free? I put these numbers in SoapCalc and it doesn't seem to have a lot of bubbles...

If you want palm free and animal free, you can have it. You can always incorporate those things later if you find yourself unsatisfied or wanting to explore.

You oil mix is a decent start. Some might say that's too much coconut oil for them (i.e. stripping, drying), but I would say that 15% shea is a reasonable attempt at balancing 30% CO. The worst that can happen is that you find something lacking or imperfect, and want to try something different. It's also quite possible your skin will adore that mix. If you have those ingredients on hand, or you are not strapped to buy them, then I say go for it. But make a small batch if you can, 500 - 1000 grams.

I'd suggest leaving out the additives though (sodium lactate and orange peel) until you get the basics down. Start simple, lest the soap gremlins be tempted!

If you want palm free and animal free, you can have it. You can always incorporate those things later if you find yourself unsatisfied or wanting to explore.

You oil mix is a decent start. Some might say that's too much coconut oil for them (i.e. stripping, drying), but I would say that 15% shea is a reasonable attempt at balancing 30% CO. The worst that can happen is that you find something lacking or imperfect, and want to try something different. It's also quite possible your skin will adore that mix. If you have those ingredients on hand, or you are not strapped to buy them, then I say go for it. But make a small batch if you can, 500 - 1000 grams.

I'd suggest leaving out the additives though (sodium lactate and orange peel) until you get the basics down. Start simple, lest the soap gremlins be tempted!

Agreed. I was going to suggest taking 5-10% away from the coconut oil to add to the olive. But as it stands, your recipe looks like a decent start. The only suggestions I have now are that you consider slightly higher superfat (6% maybe) and the addition of castor oil if you could.

Thank you for your reply!

Funny you mention castor oil... I played around with the numbers, but in the end, didn't know where to take from.

How about this?

Olive Oil 40%
Coconut Oil 27%
Shea Butter 15%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Castor Oil 3%

Super fat 6%

Sodium lactate was included in that BB kit, so I kept it in (as well as the orange peel). You're right though... I should keep it simple lol! Sodium lactate is so tempting, though, with the promise of a hard soap! :p

I really appreciate your advice!

I'm a newbie too, hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread, but its educational listening to other people's experiences too.

You could use 5% castor oil, taken from the coconut, seems to me the 5% for castor oil is fairly standard.

The other thing is hey, why not make both? I came on here with a no animal fats and no palm recipe a week ago, had lots of people suggest I try using lard in a recipe too. I ended up making both, they are now curing and I'll see which one I like the best over time, you could always do similar :)

Best of luck, and enjoy! :D

I'm a newbie too, hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread, but its educational listening to other people's experiences too.

You could use 5% castor oil, taken from the coconut, seems to me the 5% for castor oil is fairly standard.

The other thing is hey, why not make both? I came on here with a no animal fats and no palm recipe a week ago, had lots of people suggest I try using lard in a recipe too. I ended up making both, they are now curing and I'll see which one I like the best over time, you could always do similar :)

Best of luck, and enjoy! :D

Yes, tag along, please! :D

Upping the castor oil to 5% would make everything more even in terms of numbers LOL.

So...

Olive Oil 40%
Coconut Oil 25%
Shea Butter 15%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Super fat 6%

I feel like a scientist lol. How does it look?

I would love to hear how your 2 batches turn out! I can't wait to make my first one!!!!!

I would also make it with and without the castor. With and without the sodium lactate. And so on and so on - because you really need to see and feel the difference that each ingredient is bringing to your soap.

Of course, castor adds bubbles. So we add it in. Would you be perfectly happy without the castor? Maybe, but unless you try it, you'll never know.

Do you need sodium lactate? Maybe, but unless you make 2 identical batches, the only difference being the SL, you won't ever really be sure that it is needed

Listen to TEG - his advice is great :D

Let us know how you go! I have to admit I enjoy the look of the numbers ending in 0 and 5 better than the others LOL

I would also make it with and without the castor. With and without the sodium lactate. And so on and so on - because you really need to see and feel the difference that each ingredient is bringing to your soap.

Of course, castor adds bubbles. So we add it in. Would you be perfectly happy without the castor? Maybe, but unless you try it, you'll never know.

Do you need sodium lactate? Maybe, but unless you make 2 identical batches, the only difference being the SL, you won't ever really be sure that it is needed

^^^All of this!

PLUS question everything! Do you need that much shea? I don't know, but if you try every amount in 5% increments, YOU will know that. So, start with 15%, but also try 10%, 5%, 20%, 25%, etc. Do that with all your ingredients so that YOU will know your best recipes. I learned so very much by doing that!

Then try lard, or tallow, or whatever. And try them in every reasonable percentage. (Lard for me is great up to 80%, so reasonable is a relative term.)

Happy Soaping!

I don't have recipe input per se. However, if you get the quick mix with the kit, it would definitely make sense to soap it up and see what you think rather than have it go to waste. You don't have to stick with it, but it's an easy way to get going and understand the process without worrying about the recipe right up front.

I think everybody else has the recipe covered, so I'll tackle the Orange.

Don't do it. Orange - even 10x - doesn't stand up to CP. I don't know why BB has that kit, except that it must sell for them because it's a familiar smell to new people, but it doesn't work. It won't survive the cure. Wherever you store it during cure will smell awesome but by the time you're ready to start using it all that scent will have gone. You might get a bit of orange if you rush the cure to 4 weeks, but it will be gone by 8 weeks when the soap starts getting really good.

They say we only really learn through experience, and I know that I certainly didn't listen to everyone giving this advice before I tried my Orange batch. But there's a chance you might be smarter than me, so I can't neglect trying to save you five bucks a batch of scentless bars when all is said and done. Instead, I would recommend literally anything else that doesn't accelerate. Lavender, peppermint, or one of the dozens of FO's available.

I don't have recipe input per se. However, if you get the quick mix with the kit, it would definitely make sense to soap it up and see what you think rather than have it go to waste. You don't have to stick with it, but it's an easy way to get going and understand the process without worrying about the recipe right up front.

I really went back and forth with this, but ultimately decided against it because of the palm oil. :/

I think everybody else has the recipe covered, so I'll tackle the Orange.

Don't do it. Orange - even 10x - doesn't stand up to CP. I don't know why BB has that kit, except that it must sell for them because it's a familiar smell to new people, but it doesn't work. It won't survive the cure. Wherever you store it during cure will smell awesome but by the time you're ready to start using it all that scent will have gone. You might get a bit of orange if you rush the cure to 4 weeks, but it will be gone by 8 weeks when the soap starts getting really good.

They say we only really learn through experience, and I know that I certainly didn't listen to everyone giving this advice before I tried my Orange batch. But there's a chance you might be smarter than me, so I can't neglect trying to save you five bucks a batch of scentless bars when all is said and done. Instead, I would recommend literally anything else that doesn't accelerate. Lavender, peppermint, or one of the dozens of FO's available.

Oh, good to know!! Thanks for warning me! I really appreciate it. Yes, I will save my $5 and look into something else.

Yes, tag along, please! :D

Upping the castor oil to 5% would make everything more even in terms of numbers LOL.

So...

Olive Oil 40%
Coconut Oil 25%
Shea Butter 15%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Super fat 6%

I feel like a scientist lol. How does it look?

I would love to hear how your 2 batches turn out! I can't wait to make my first one!!!!!

That is a great starting recipe. I agree with making it with and without the castor oil.

Ok, I think this is what I'm going to do for my first CP soap!

Olive Oil 45%
Coconut Oil 25%
Shea Butter 10%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

6% Super fat

Hardness 36
Cleansing 17
Conditioning 61
Bubbly 21
Creamy 23
Iodine 66
INS 141

Lavender and Litsea EO blend!

Any last minute changes/suggestions? I really appreciate all your help. :D

Ok, I think this is what I'm going to do for my first CP soap!

Olive Oil 45%
Coconut Oil 25%
Shea Butter 10%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

6% Super fat

Hardness 36
Cleansing 17
Conditioning 61
Bubbly 21
Creamy 23
Iodine 66
INS 141

Lavender and Litsea EO blend!

Any last minute changes/suggestions? I really appreciate all your help. :D

There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but I don't think I'd recommend it as a very first recipe. The problem is that you're going to be justifiably impatient to try your first soap, and a soap with nearly half olive oil is going to need quite a while to be good. I don't make enough high olive soaps to know for sure how long it will take, but I'd guess at least twice as long as something made with mostly lard, for example. Hopefully some of the castille/bastille types will chime in with better info.

Thank you for your input!

Ok, I will try lard. BUT, the next day, I will also make that recipe I just posted. :D :D :D I really want to make a palm-free vegan one, but you're right... I don't want to wait foreverrrrr!

So, first, I will make one with lard.
How does this look?

Lard 45%
Olive Oil 30%
Coconut Oil 20%
Castor Oil 5%

6% Super fat

Hardness 40
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 55
Bubbly 18
Creamy 30
Iodine 57
INS 150

Lavender and Litsea EOs

How does that look? It's simpler, which I like, too.
It doesn't seem very bubbly... :T

Latest posts

Back