Native bees from our favorite biologist!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been more than a year since the 3rd graders finished their native bee diversity project, and our girl is still just as enamored with subject as she was then. We've maintained contact Dr. Hung - because 1) he was willing 2) there is no one else to get information from (really need him to write a book!) He is the "bees knees" in this new domain of identifying and categorizing the natives of San Diego county- something never before done! (there are 550 - 700 different types of native bees in CA)

https://phys.org/news/2014-03-lord-bees.html

He just earned his Ph.D, and moved on to another state for post doc work, which of course was upsetting to our girl. But not only did he invite us along on his last bee hike at Mission Trails, but he generously presented her with a tour of the lab, but a collection of specimens - including her favorite Valley Carpenter bee, and very rare bees that are not yet known to science! (they will be, but it takes time). We are beyond grateful for all of his support in encouraging her passion!!

Last edited by a moderator:
To give you an idea of the size of his collection (14,000) - he's got about 15 of these, plus stacks of other boxes! Complete collections were sent to the USDA for more research.

20170415_150507.jpg

Amazing! I so envy anyone who finds a passion at such a young age. And finds a mentor who is so willing to teach and share. And has parents who nurture such passions instead of poo-pooing them. It's official.....you are all beautiful. And now I need a martini to drown my childhood. (Does my green monster make my butt look big?)

Oh that face! She has the sweetest smile. Love to see girls interested in scientific pursuits. And bees...so vitally important to all of us. :thumbup:

Amazing! I so envy anyone who finds a passion at such a young age. And finds a mentor who is so willing to teach and share. And has parents who nurture such passions instead of poo-pooing them. It's official.....you are all beautiful. And now I need a martini to drown my childhood. (Does my green monster make my butt look big?)

jewels, I had my own desolate childhood - one that needed years of therapy and its the reason now why I'm dedicated to properly caring for children! Sounds like you also have a deep appreciation for the important things in life!

(Sorry for the long delay in responding - trying to get caught up!)

Thank you so much for all of your kind comments everyone! She's full of personality, curiosity, compassion and a fair amount of initiative. I try to encourage her to be herself as much as possible - something I was denied as a child, so you can imagine how grateful I am when other people are willing to pay attention to a young child instead of patronizing them with a pat on the head and a "oh how nice you like bees". Dr. Hung treats her like a human being - looks her in the eye and talks to her like a fellow researcher....which she definitely responds to very well. She's very quick and intelligent.

During our hike she was the one who spotted a mason bee in flight, saw it harvesting mud from the creek, fly to an old mud dauber's nest under an old picnic table and start nesting. The two of them climbed under the table and watched the process for 20 minutes! Then he thanked her because he'd never seen this behavior before! James has children of his own - he's going to make a great father.

This is the local PBS show recorded with James before he left California. I don't know how long the video will stay up. The first 15 minutes are with him and the native bees. I encourage you to watch it!! http://agrowingpassion.com/episode-506-wild-wooly-native-bee-pollinators/

Latest posts

Back