Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tank7900

Reaction score
I hope everyone had a happy holiday season, and are starting the new year off well. I have been away for a bit, mainly due to a 40 day trip to work in Egypt, but came back with the fever. The soaping fever that is. I decided to give gift sets to close friends for the holidays. I made liquid soap, bar soap, lip balm, body cream, and hand lotion...whew... below is the finished product.

Tonight I just completed my first batch of the new year, 8lbs of pear body bars...pics to follow in the next few days. Take care all!!!

Tank

The liquid soap was Honey Almond scented, and the make up was:

40% olive oil
40% coconut oil
20% Castor oil

Turned out perfect, I have had some pretty good luck with all of my liquid soaps, as they have all been crystal clear.

Tank

tank7900 said:
The liquid soap was Honey Almond scented, and the make up was:

40% olive oil
40% coconut oil
20% Castor oil

Turned out perfect, I have had some pretty good luck with all of my liquid soaps, as they have all been crystal clear.

Tank
Thanks!
Did you superfat it up front or did you add something after it was cooked? It's a little hard to see the soap in the bottle. Did it come out clear?

Happy New Year to you too! Glad to hear that it was the soaping bug you caught and not something more serious!

I very much want to make liquid soap. I read somewhere that you have to use KOH? Is that what you use tank7900?

Gratia,

I have used 3oz of borax in 6oz of water when I am diluting the soap for neutralization.

To help you with some of your questions, since you want to use goat's milk there are a couple of tips/tricks that have seemed to work well for me:

1. a) Freeze the goat's milk in ice cube trays. this will help avoid the milk from getting cooked while adding the lye. Freezing lowers the temperature of the lye mixture to avoid discoloration. Freezing in trays keeps the milk in small, manageable pieces, instead of one large chunk.

b)When the milk is mostly frozen, pour the cubes into a large plastic pitcher. Place the plastic pitcher in a large mixing bowl filled with ice-cubes. Do not use glass in this step because the abrupt temperature changes may cause the glass to shatter.

c) Stir the milk until it is slushy and slowly add the lye in small increments until it is all mixed in. Try not to let the temperature of the lye mixture go above 90 degrees. The milk will still discolor a little but should still remain fairly light. The total mixing process should take 10 to 15 minutes.

2. As for diluting, I use the following:

Liquid soaps with high amounts of coconut or hard oils in them can be diluted in as much as a 40% solution. Soaps high in soft oils, like olive or sunflower, will start to congeal at as low as 25%. Most mixed recipes will do best somewhere in between 25% and 35%. Start with the higher dilution and then add more water if it starts to congeal or form a crust at the top of the bottle. Go slow, a little bit at a time, you can always add more water later. Taking it out is much harder!

Diluting Liquid Soap

% Actual Soap-----------Water Added per Lb. of Paste

15% -------------------------48 oz.
20% -------------------------32 oz.
25% -------------------------22 oz.
30% -------------------------16 oz.
35% -------------------------12 oz.
40% --------------------------9 oz.

Hope that helps you out, feel free to ask if you have any other questions. Good luck and Happy Soaping!!!

Tank

Back