Proposed recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psfred

Reaction score
Now that I've made shaving soap, I'm getting interested in bath soap.

What do you all think of the following recipe:

70% lard
20% CO
5% Shea butter
5% Cocoa butter

SF 4 or 5%

Plan to hot process and scent with sandalwood or something I have around, don't care much for scent anyway, and superfat with the shea and cocoa, mostly for my 93 year old mother.

This is all stuff I have handy, looking for a nice shower bar that lasts. Bubbles aren't much of a concern, just need some nice soap.

If this works I'll get into colors and all that, not really something I care much about (I don't have my contact in while in the shower and can't see the soap anyway....).

Peter

Try this recipe, all oils are available at the local grocery store or Walmart:

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5%

NaOH 95%
KOH 5%

This makes an awesome soap with great lather and is very gentle to aging dry skin. You are going to want some scent to cover the smell of the lard, though.

I have tried lots of those expensive oils and butters, and decided I quite prefer the above recipe. I tried all those butters on my testers, and they preferred the oils above also.

This makes awesome CP soap, with no need to HP.

Looks good to me, Peter. I say go for it! Give it a trial drive after 4 weeks cure to see what you might need to tweak for your next batch. I like Sandalwood -- good choice for guys and gals.

TIP: When I soap with lard and/or tallow, I use oakmoss absolute (10% in 90% jojoba) at a rate of 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ppo to neutralize the odor of animal fats. Oakmoss blends well with just about anything and helps to anchor scent.
:bunny:

Latest posts

Back