A question for the lotion makers...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOneWhoSoaps

Reaction score
Have any of you successfully incorporated cyclomethicone and dimethicone into your lotions or creams before?
I have both here and every time I add them at the cool down phase, they cause my mix to separate horribly and I have to throw out all these really nice ingredients I used in the mix.

Every lotion or cream I have made so far has been fine, up until now.

How much of the 'cones are you using, and what is your emulsifier?

I think 1-2% is about as high as you want to go, and when I use one I usually make sure there is some BTMS-50 in my formula. It's very good at emulsifying silicones.

HTH

Though you add cones in the cool down, they are counted as a oil to emulsify. If you are having separation you need to look at you ewax/emulsifier amount and likely add more.

Thanks for the replies, the 'cones are accounted for in the emulsifying wax total. I use 2% of each silicone. My emulsifying wax (BTMS-50) is calculated at 25% of total oils used.

I tried another lotion after it separated last night, but I added the 'cones into the oil phase instead, it worked great until the cool down phase when I added a fragrance and preservative. Once I added those, bang, instant separation.

Hmm, I havent had this problem before, I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

I've used both Phenonip and Liquid Germall Plus interchangeably without any issue.

The lotion works great and is starting to solidify a little, but as soon as an EO or FO and preservative is introduced, that's when it starts to turn really ugly.

Latest posts

Back