Natural Emulsifier

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this area and trying to make body scrub from natural ingredient that safe to use for my self and family.
Formula for emulsifying body scrub always containing emulsifier such as e-wax or pola-wax, are there any natural emulsifier that we can use to make a creamy body scrub?
thanks in advance :D

oh I forgot, I also tried use my bar soap as an emulsifier, but this was a bad idea, my soap would dissolve in the oil, even I have use heat and hand blender for a long time :???:

You can use melted M&P soap as an emulsifier. I have a recipe for an emulsified salt scrub that uses melted M&P soap, Epsom salt and just a little almond oil.

thank you... i read on swtichcraftmonkey many used polawax or emulsifying wax, are this wax synthetic or natural?

What do you mean by "natural" vs "synthetic", Joseph? There is no legal definition of these words, so everyone has their own opinions. For the record, even lecithin, which usually comes from soybeans, is processed in a chemical plant. Not to mention the GMO issue with most soybeans, at least in the US.

On a related note: Emulsified scrubs and lotions -- any product that contains a water phase AND an oil phase -- also requires a preservative for safety, unless you are the sort of person who will willingly eat homemade mayonnaise (also an emulsion) after letting it sit on your kitchen counter for a week.

If you are determined to use ingredients that are processed as little as possible, then making lotions and emulsified products is not realistic. Stick with salves, lotion bars, balms, and other oil-based products. They do not require emulsifiers and preservatives.

I love the "natural" argument, Never gets old really.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Last edited:
Mayonnaise has eggs in it which go off much faster that water and oil. Water on its own and oil on its own last for quite a while if they are not contaminated with germs. Not sure how the emulsification changes their properties???But I will keep some of mine in the fridge and use a spatula so I don't bring germs in it. But I think we cannot expect a a very long shelf life from fully natural products:)

"...Water on its own and oil on its own last for quite a while if they are not contaminated with germs...."

Certainly! By definition, "not contaminated with germs" means you're talking about a sterile ingredients and sterile processing and packaging.

Most people use a sanitary method to make B&B products -- working as clean as possible but definitely not sterile. Preservative ensures long-term sanitary conditions.

Emulsification -- whether you're making mayo or hand lotion -- intimately mixes the water, oil, and other ingredients, as well as incorporating microbes intimately into the mix. This greatly increases the chance of microbial growth.

While I consume a lot of food, I don't tend to eat my BB products. So that leaves absorbtion as the method by which my Optiphen will enter my body. At the percentages we work with, that is a very small amount of preservative on my skin at any given time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'd rather spread that on me than some of the bad mould cultures

http://www.rootsimple.com/2011/11/the-whip-a-homemade-moisturizer-how-to-from-making-it/

She gives some suggestions for keeping this product reasonably safe. Good for her. Most bloggers really don't have a clue, so it is good to see someone giving a more balanced viewpoint.

She is using only beeswax in this recipe. Beeswax is NOT an emulsifier; it is simply a mechanical thickener. There is nothing to keep this "lotion" from separating back into its water-soluble and oil soluble parts. I had the displeasure of seeing a local maker's beeswax-thickened, no-preservative "lotion" for sale in a local store recently. The product was an unappetizing weepy mess. Ugh.

She wrote: "...What makes [the best batches] work seems to be a magical combination of temperature, timing and the blessings of the lotion fairies. You may find a little water sitting in the jar now and then. This is not unusual, certainly not a sign of failure. Just pour it off. In the not so good batches the amount of water that appears is epic as it comes unbound from the oil day by day. Just pour it off. The texture will be off, but the stuff still works, and is fine to use. It’s just not as nice. Try again. You’ll get the hang of it...."

Um..... :thumbdown:

Anyway ladies...it is just a different point of view:) i mean about keeping your creams in a cool place, using them while fresh, small batches, etc
What about grape seed extract?? Does it do the job as a preservative against mould, bacteria?
And what keeps the emulsification together if beeswax doesn't work. Mine ( the above mentioned recipe) also had water but apart from that is was great... At least to me ;)

What about alcohol???I just read an article by someone (lost the link among the many) who produces creams for sale and has a background in microbiology and has done extensive testing. He says that alcohol up to 16% in his facial creams does the job against everything and noone has ever complained from dry skin even using his products around their eyes. Someone had commented that the downsides are cost and the smell. Has anyone used alcohol as a preservative? Can you cover up the smell with EO? Also what about propolis extracted in alcohol, both having great properties? Just an idea?

I found the article
http://chemistscorner.com/how-to-prevent-contamination-in-cosmetic-products/
There is also Liliana ( one of the people commenting ) who says they have a patent on rosemary preservative, for food though. But she also mentions olive leaves. I wander if that can go in a cream. I have used olive leaf extract against candida and after my thorough research it seemed to be the best thing. Now candida is a fungus. One can buy olive leaf powder which is not as concentrated but there is also the extract which is also a powder and is more powerful. So you will need to use less. It will give a green coloring I presume:) i will see if I can find articles about people using it as a preservative in their cosmetics.

I have gone off a bit from the topic which was about emulsification, apology. Should transfer that to the preservatives topic.

Back