Adding Vitamin E To Esisting Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Please bear with me here- convoluted thought that I could use some feedback on!

OK, so I've decided to add Vitamin E to my body butter recipe. (I'm having horrible problems with my sample jars in boutiques going rancid very quickly because they are left open 24/7). I'd rather switch everything over at the same time than have a transition period where some have it and some don't. I was thinking of emptying my jars of existing stock, and getting a weight for the product I take out. Then while making a very small batch of that scent, get the weight of the fresh batch, add the weights (of new batch and old butter from jars) together and add 0.1% Vitamin E (of the combined weights) to the batch I'm making (while the oil/butter mixture is still liquid). Finish the new batch off as usual, then thoroughly mix it with the old stuff that I took out of the jars. Then, re-jar (and re-label as necessary). Is there any reason at all that I should not do this? I worry about just adding vitamin e to finished body butter because the vitamin e is so viscous, I'm worried it won't mix in properly. This convoluted solution was the only way I could think of to get it evenly distributed. Thoughts?

I don't think I would mix old and new together. How old is the existing inventory and how much of it do you have in stock? I would also add some anhydrous-active preservative to the body butter if you have not already done so. This is just my opinion. Perhaps someone else can some up with suggestions.:)

I don't think I would mix old and new together. How old is the existing inventory and how much of it do you have in stock? I would also add some anhydrous-active preservative to the body butter if you have not already done so. This is just my opinion. Perhaps someone else can some up with suggestions.:)

Why add a preservative? I thought that the only purpose of preservatives was to stop microbial growth? Will it also help prevent rancidity and scent fading in my open sample jars? I'm not disagreeing with you, so much as confused (and perhaps uneducated on what preservatives actually do).

Why add a preservative? I thought that the only purpose of preservatives was to stop microbial growth? Will it also help prevent rancidity and scent fading in my open sample jars? I'm not disagreeing with you, so much as confused (and perhaps uneducated on what preservatives actually do).

Preservative will generally keep icky stuff from growing. If dirty hands or even some water were to enter the product it could grow things and some you can't even see. I preserve all my products regardless just to be safe as you don't know how your customers will use the product. I would hate to have an unhappy customer.

I also would not combine new with old.

Leaving the sample jars open 24/7 sounds like an issue. Is this commonly done?

If it's just the sample jars with the issue, I'd make smaller jars and add preservative and vit e to those only, if you don't want to add a preservative to your recipe. In th future, it would more helpful to add the vit e to your base oils when you get them.

Definitely wouldn't combine old product with new for sale. I think that's just asking for trouble.

Back