Shipping charges on EO/FO's can be ridiculous! Is this unique to my suppliers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to derail, but WSP's price is *really* high for BRV when you can get really good ones (soapsupplies.net, Peaks are two) for so much less. Also, ss.net has a 7.95 flat rate shipping charge, I think you would still come out significantly lower (unfortunately I can't state the price on the FO b/c they are OOS on it, but it seems like I remember paying about $20 a lb or so.)
Trying to figure out the bottom line is making my head spin...keep in mind I don't sell so I tend to go for the lower volumes...
And there are SO many companies to choose from...I didn't even know about most of them...

Just went onto ss.net...very disappointing...micas and FO only...no EOs no equipment, no molds....
Next...

Trying to figure out the bottom line is making my head spin...keep in mind I don't sell so I tend to go for the lower volumes...
And there are SO many companies to choose from...I didn't even know about most of them...

I know. I'm just a hobbyist too so I tend to buy in the 2oz to 4oz range. Most of my FOs come from MO, WSP and BB. I could save a lot of money if I went with NG, but I have a low threshold for disappointment. Some of their FOs are really good for the price, but some just smelled...

I could also save a bunch if I bought in larger amounts, but I like to try out new things!

I keep a monthly allowable budget for my hobby - add stuff to a bunch of different suppliers carts and pull the trigger on one of them every other month. :)

NG does have a really good deal if you want to try out a lot of different things... Buy 10 or more 1oz samples (most cost around 2.60), get 50 cents off each sample. I tried out *many* scents that way and found a few I loved.

Keep your eye out for sales on the sites. Most of the time, folks here will announce one if they see it. WSP has really good ones periodically.

R, I forgot you did mostly EO's, ss.net would not be good there. You might want to check out Liberty Natural, they have a minimum order (maybe $50?) but I don't remember shipping being too bad, and they have a tremendous range of different EO's, great information (sometimes, sometimes you have a long list of different variations of the same eos from diff. regions and you are on your own), small/sample sizes, and the quality of their oils are pretty good.

I ordered from them when I was just starting out b/c I wanted tester sizes of lots of different EO's, sometimes the same EO from different regions, you can do that w/them.

Last edited:
I second the vote for Liberty Naturals, good prices, reasonable shipping . I have found many of the small suppliers willing to use cheaper but slower shipping methods if you contact them directly and ask. As for Bramble Berry and other 'big' suppliers, I have no use for companies that make money on shipping.

Last edited:
Yes, I've really had to do the math living in Hawaii. I mostly get FOs and other heavy ingredients only from companies that will ship flat rate (like Lotion Crafter and Bramble Berry). The exception to this is Sweet Cakes, who have some FO's that I am willing to pay big bucks to ship!

I was also going to post about Mike's flat rate shipping..he's fast too {ships same day usually if you get your order in before he leaves the shop..he actually grabbed one of my orders and ran by the PO to ship it}

I also wont deal with companies who make money off of shipping..I know what it costs to ship as I used to do it for a living and some suppliers are just greedy..and I dont care for greedy.

ETA: And some of you peeps are all around me..Im in Conroe :) *waves*

Last edited:
I was also going to post about Mike's flat rate shipping..he's fast too {ships same day usually if you get your order in before he leaves the shop..he actually grabbed one of my orders and ran by the PO to ship it}

I also wont deal with companies who make money off of shipping..I know what it costs to ship as I used to do it for a living and some suppliers are just greedy..and I dont care for greedy.

ETA: And some of you peeps are all around me..Im in Conroe :) *waves*

Jstar - Conroe? Dang I've got neighbors all over on here LOL

Yes, I've really had to do the math living in Hawaii. I mostly get FOs and other heavy ingredients only from companies that will ship flat rate (like Lotion Crafter and Bramble Berry). The exception to this is Sweet Cakes, who have some FO's that I am willing to pay big bucks to ship!
I was stationed on Oahu in the 80s, my first son was born there, my daughter conceived there... I know about the shipping nightmare...
Tell me about Sweet Cakes, what oils are they known for?
I started on this site a EO only kinda gal, but I did order a FO for my guy bars and I have to admit...I was wrong, FO now have a place in my craft.

Snappy small world indeed LOL. I'm strongly considering Amazon simply because of the free shipping. I'm still looking for local sources though, I haven't given up yet :)

Gigi, make sure you check first. I have Amazon prime and Columbus Foods is still cheaper for me, for 50lb pails of oils, even with the crazy shipping. I'm on the east coast.

If you're looking for oils in smaller amounts, here's what I use.

Amazon: Snappy White Popcorn Oil is just CO. They have an organic version available as well.
Costco: Olive Oil & Avocado Oil
Grocery Store: Lard in the buckets. I like Morell Snow lard, because that's what my family always used for cooking, and I don't get any piggy smell from it.

I'm about to switch to bigger amounts of some of the oils, but I'm not quite there yet.

Gigi, make sure you check first. I have Amazon prime and Columbus Foods is still cheaper for me, for 50lb pails of oils, even with the crazy shipping. I'm on the east coast.

Columbus foods? Never heard of them but I'm close enough to east coast that shipping might not be awful.

Columbus Foods is like the parent company of Soapers Choice. I order a lot of oils from them; their prices are amazing

Latest posts

Back