Best face oil or butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephera

Reaction score
Hi what is the best single oil or butter for you face. I am adverse to be making facial creams etc as an worried about contamination etc. What single oils or butters do you use for your face if you do so? For youth and suppleness.

Everyone's skin is different, so what works for one, won't work for another. That being said, in the winter when the heat is on, and it gets really dry, I use avocado oil at night. But my everyday, year round, best thing I've ever found is olive squalane. For my skin, my handmade soap and olive squalane are the two things I would never give up. This is the one that I use, and a bottle lasts me over a year.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MJG19K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip I will buy some it's expensive $22 /100 ml. But it looks promising. Do you use extra virgin avocado or is refined ok?

Do you think Olive Squalane is better than Rosehip oil or jojoba?

I use rice bran and argan sometimes. But I'm not a fan of straight oils on my face
I am just one lazy to make an emulsion and two worried about contamination of home made creams.

What about a blend of oils or butters...?

Also a renowned Aromatherapist said Oils and butters were best for skin. It's not prone to contamination.

Thanks for the tip I will buy some it's expensive $22 /100 ml. But it looks promising. Do you use extra virgin avocado or is refined ok?

Do you think Olive Squalane is better than Rosehip oil or jojoba?

I use refined avocado and it works just fine for me, I also rub some into the ends of my hair the night before I wash it. But I only use it at night, because it does leave my skin feeling "oily."

Do I think olive squalane is better than rosehip or jojoba? YES!!! I'm 66, and my face used to be extremely dry. I used to use Dove soap, and my skin was flaky and dry and miserable. I tried every moisturizer, even slathered it with Vaseline! Nothing worked. Nothing. Once I started making my own soap, my skin improved greatly. But I still needed some kind of moisturizer. I had received a sample of squalane and liked it, because it wasn't greasy. So I tried the one I linked to above, and I've never looked back.

I wash my face with my soap, dry it with a wet wash cloth wrung out til it's just damp. I think this is important, because you want your skin to be still damp when you apply your moisturizer, to seal the moisture in. Then I use between four and six drops (depending on the season) of olive squalane. I let it sink in before applying makeup. My skin really does seem to absorb it, and my skin is left feeling moist but not oily or greasy at all. There is no fragrance, no additives, just squalane. I use it morning and night after washing my face, and at $9.99 for a bottle that lasts a year, it's hard to beat.

I dont like straight oils or butters on my face and i generally don't recommend it.

Some years ago i used to apply coconut oil on my face and ended up with irritation and dry skin, so i stopped it immediately... Its a miracle oil on hair though...
I think it could be better idea to make some facial cream using an emulsifier, some active ingredients and oils/butters of your choise at small percentages. Jojoba, safflower oil, shea butter, pomegranate oil or argan may be beneficial for your skin...

strait oils on face? that's not very good idea. Once a week can be used sugar scrub with oil, and face serum which should contain ie Argan, Borage, Argan have 0 for clogging pores Borage has 2 Emu oil 0 , Macadamia 2 ......... For face the best is light lotion with at least 80% water and very light oil. Coconut oil is the worst on pores , causes major breakouts and irritation. That's crazy people still use it, It is in range of 4 very bad for skin in general . I use co only for frying and soap. Butters are not good for face either.

I see no problem with a straight oil on your face or skin. When I make soap, I usually end up rubbing a little lard on my knees and elbows and it is nice! I was actually on a forum and somebody was really tight with money and they really missed the nice lotion they used to buy for their hands. I told them to try out the veg oils in their pantry. MUCH cheaper than lotion, which is mostly water anyway!

Soaps are like food for your skin - nourishing both young and old, men and women. Natural soap bars keep all the good stuff including glycerin and non saponified oils to moisturize your skin naturally.
In Natural soaps there are no harsh chemicals or chemical preservatives added to create colors, smell and longevity. You wouldn't find such things as parabens (linked to Breast cancer), sodium lauryl sulfate (skin irritant) in natural soap.
For that I can suggest you to use Natural Soap.

I mix Shea Butter, almond oil, hazelnut oil, jojoba oil, and add a little carrot seed and geranium essential oils. It works best if you melt the Shea Butter, add in the other oils, and whip it in a blender as it cools. Makes a nice soft lotion. It is oily until it absorbs in, so I only use at night.

Soaps are like food for your skin - nourishing both young and old, men and women. Natural soap bars keep all the good stuff including glycerin and non saponified oils to moisturize your skin naturally.
In Natural soaps there are no harsh chemicals or chemical preservatives added to create colors, smell and longevity. You wouldn't find such things as parabens (linked to Breast cancer), sodium lauryl sulfate (skin irritant) in natural soap.

They are not asking about soap. The op is asking about oils for the skin without making lotion. Also, soap is not moisturizing or nourishing. Soap is a wash off product. It can strip less oils or more oils from the skin depending on the formulation.

Once again, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Hi what is the best single oil or butter for you face. I am adverse to be making facial creams etc as an worried about contamination etc. What single oils or butters do you use for your face if you do so? For youth and suppleness.

There is no universal oil that works well for every skin. You need to test individual oils on your own skin. I can't use any butters or coconut on mine. I'm not prone to acne but my skin will break out if I use any butters. On the other hand, I use few drops of olive oil (from my kitchen) with great results. I also can use fractionated coconut oil without problems. I tend to add FCO to most oil mixes because the short chain fatty acids are easy food for the skin. I also like squalane. I make an anhydrous gel for me with hazelnut, avocado or macademia, rose hip, sea buckthorn and others with ~10% cera bellina (modified beeswax) that works very well for me.

For a friend who was treated for acne for decades, I make a blend with mostly hazelnut oil and FCO and it works great for her. She can't use any oil that contains omega 3 fatty acids without breaking out.

Thanks for you responses. The butters I have been using I realise are just an oil plus hydrogenated vegetable oil. But I think that is not good. It might be just better to add an oil to Shea butter and whip it. I like the convenience and thickness. One oil I like is the Nuxe dry oil from France I think it's just a blend of oils that's easy to make with right ingredients? I use Rosehip and was using Jojoba previously. I have used pure castor but seems to aggravate.

Last edited:
Soap does not moisturise skin, soap washes
Soapmaker actually rose-hip oil is good it not suppose to cause any breakouts, it in range 0 for clogging pores, but it does cause major breakouts on my face, even when I use a tiny bit in lotion. FCO does not do it;)) it is good too

Last edited:
I like avocado best for a face oil, argan and evening prime rose are also nice. I'm not too keen on using butters on my face, they are too heavy and too greasy. I really want to try sea buckthorn and meadow foam sometime, wish I could find sample sizes though.

I think jojoba is comedogenic, meaning it can clog pores. That said, I'm quite prone to acne and haven't seen any with my mixture. I didn't use much, I wish I knew the exact formula. It was a complete failure at first, so I remelted and added more Shea butter to make it thicker.

Last edited:
I like avocado best for a face oil, argan and evening prime rose are also nice. I'm not too keen on using butters on my face, they are too heavy and too greasy. I really want to try sea buckthorn and meadow foam sometime, wish I could find sample sizes though.

I think I have some Meadowfoam if you would like a sample to try. Let me know. I can check my stuff this weekend.

I got a small bottle of sea buckthorn from lotioncrafter, I believe 1 oz, and it was pretty reasonable.

Ok thanks for responses, to save posting a new thread what is a good oil or blend for hair.

Latest posts

Back