~*~ SMF January 2017 Challenge - Gradient Layer! ~*~
~ January 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Basic Balanced Bar Recipe Check

Old 01-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #31
kchaystack
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1453 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6inpenn View Post
I believe it is supposed to help with soap scrum for those with hard water. I keep meaning to order some to try and never remember when I'm placing an order.
Sodium citrate is a chelator that helps with hard water problems like soap scum. Sodium Lactate is used to harden the bars faster and some people say it is a lather booster. I have not tested for that.

You can also use a teaspoon of salt (NaCl) per pound of oil to help harden and a teaspoon of sugar per pound of oil to boost bubbles. You add them to your water and dissolve before you add your NaOH or KOH.

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #32
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2119 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 3391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
How does SL affect lather? Seems like it should cut down the lather, being a salt, but naturesgardencandles says it provides a more luxurious lather.
I haven't notice any difference in lather using SL in soap and not using it. I used to use it in every batch to help unmold easier; but I've quit using it since I discovered the magic of vinegar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6inpenn View Post
I believe it is supposed tohelp with soap scrum for those with hard water. I keep meaning to order some to try and never remember when I'm placing an order.
No, not at all. Citric acid, sodium citrate and tetrasodium EDTA all help with soap scum. Sodium lactate just helps with hardening the soap. According to Brambleberry, it is a humectant and helps reduce shrinking during the curing process. Soapers Choice says it gives the bar a smoother texture.
(https://www.brambleberry.com/sodium-lactate-p5127.aspx) and (https://www.google.com/search?q=sodi...utf-8&oe=utf-8) - look at the photo in the block when this search pulls up. Kind of interesting.

It might actually be worthwhile to toss it back in my recipes. I might not have to plane them so much. I'll have to experiment. I still have a good bit of it left.

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #33
BrewerGeorge

Liked 387 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I've got a decent amount of SL to use up, but I won't replace it after learning of vinegar here.

People Like This