High percentage soft oils - Longer to saponify?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
​I wanted to ask if soap made using a high percentage (60%) of soft oils (olive and avocado) will take longer to saponify. I ask because I made a batch on Saturday evening and CPOPed as usual (warming oven to 175 then leaving batch in overnight). Being this was my first batch with that much soft oil I left it in the mold till Monday evening and cut. I noticed a partial gel ring, something I've never gotten before​ using my usual high hard oil recipes, and the soap is zappy. I tested again this morning and it's still giving me a zap. I followed everything to a "T" as usual and I am a super stickler about double checking my measurements. This one is throwing me for a loop so I'm here asking questions.

Thanks.

I agree with Shari. I don't automatically think a recipe with all liquid oils, especially high oleic oils, will automatically be troublesome. IMO, it's less about the soft oils and more about other factors in the recipe and the conditions during saponification. In particular, I strongly suggest using a 33% to 40% lye concentration for soap high in oleic acid -- the closer to 40%, the better.

I recently made a 30% avocado and 70% high oleic sunflower soap using a 40% lye concentration. I poured the batter into individual molds and set them in a warmish area of my home to saponify -- maybe mid to upper 70s this time of year. The soap was zap free and easily firm enough to unmold about 12 hours after it was poured.

Thanks for everyone's replies. This is my first batch ever with such a high amount of soft oils. It was supposed to have had olive/rice bran but my shipment of RB was delayed so I used avocado. I plan another batch in a week or so and will bump up my lye concentration to 40% (I usually use 33%). I'm going to let this batch sit till Saturday and try another sliver to see what happens.
Thanks again for all replies and information.

Thanks for everyone's replies. This is my first batch ever with such a high amount of soft oils. It was supposed to have had olive/rice bran but my shipment of RB was delayed so I used avocado. I plan another batch in a week or so and will bump up my lye concentration to 40% (I usually use 33%). I'm going to let this batch sit till Saturday and try another sliver to see what happens.
Thanks again for all replies and information.

When you do get that shipment, make this batch again but add RBO to the recipe instead of subbing it out for avocado oil. RBO is also a favorite of mine and when I used all three oils, 'lovely' doesn't begin to describe the soap. But that's just me.

Huh. Interesting thought. OK, I'm in for giving that a try. Is there a percentage breakdown recommended or do I take the 60% and divide it equally between OO, AO and RB @ 20% each?
I got the shipment this evening and now I'm just waiting for some FOs to come in to put this all together.

ETA: Image of a recipe using all three (AO, OO and RB). This would be made with 100% aloe vera juice, bentonite clay (Or kaolin if it gets here in time) and 6 TBSP sugar. I'm not 100% sure I want to keep the shea @ 20% and might drop it to 15 and give the 5 to the palm.

When you do get that shipment, make this batch again but add RBO to the recipe instead of subbing it out for avocado oil. RBO is also a favorite of mine and when I used all three oils, 'lovely' doesn't begin to describe the soap. But that's just me.

30 percent palm.jpg

Last edited:
Huh. Interesting thought. OK, I'm in for giving that a try. Is there a percentage breakdown recommended or do I take the 60% and divide it equally between OO, AO and RB @ 20% each?
I got the shipment this evening and now I'm just waiting for some FOs to come in to put this all together.

ETA: Image of a recipe using all three (AO, OO and RB). This would be made with 100% aloe vera juice, bentonite clay (Or kaolin if it gets here in time) and 6 TBSP sugar. I'm not 100% sure I want to keep the shea @ 20% and might drop it to 15 and give the 5 to the palm.

You HAVE to keep me posted on this soap when and if you make it. That looks good.

I definitely will. Sadly, this will have to wait for another weekend. My FO and kaolin clay got lost in transit so there will be no soaping this weekend :(

You HAVE to keep me posted on this soap when and if you make it. That looks good.

I finally got everything I was waiting for and made a batch this weekend using the recipe I posted earlier in post #6. I changed it a bit by adding 5% to the RBO and taking it away from shea butter. This was the first time I used kaolin clay (I've used bentonite a few times before) and I used a mix of 2 TSP of the rose and 1 TSP of the white and I have to say I'm happy with the rose color I ended up with. I went with a 40% lye concentration as suggested in this thread and since there is less water called for (I used 100% aloe vera juice) I decided to use only 6 TBSP of sugar as opposed to the 7 that has become my norm. I didn't realize I also ran out of sodium lactate so I didn't use it this time around. I went with Clean Type FO from Nature's Garden. I took the batch out of the oven this morning so it spent 12+ hours in the oven. Of course, I grew impatient and wanted to un-mold ASAP so I popped it into the freezer for an hour or so and it came out of the mold with zero issues and I cut it and tested a small end piece. I know it's still too early to make a definitive judgement but it felt very slick and good and, as you can see, it bubbled up nicely for a soap that has no CO. First time using RBO. First time using this FO. First time using kaolin clay. So far I'm very happy with this!

ETA: I just wanted to make it clear I zap tested before using. I didn't have dessert this evening so I licked all sides of the wet bar. No zap.
Also, the color in the image seems lighter than the actual bar. It's a bit darker and not as pink as pictured.
And lastly, cause I'm impatient, I just tried out the bar in the shower and loved the way it lathered. This might end up being my new "go to" recipe.

2017-02-26 21.52.33.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back