• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ostrich Oil Co-Op

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the oil today and was taken aback at how hard it was in the jug. I don't know if this is because it got really cold during shipment or if it really is a solid oil. Hopefully, it will be liquid by tomorrow and I can pour it into bottles. If I'm wrong and it's more solid, I'll buy different containers to package the oil and get them shipped as quickly as possible.

Every day I learn something new. :roll:

I did, too. Because I've seen pictures identified as ostrich oil and it showed a thick, creamy colored liquid oil. I was spending time with Google (my friend) and found this info on a Canadian site:
Ostrich Oil can separate if it is stored at lower temperatures and you may find the oil ” creamy” at this point. Placing it in warm water for a short period of time will return the oil again.
So, hopefully, it will be liquid tomorrow. If not, I'll try the warm water. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to buy plastic containers with snap on lids.

Wow, sorry for the pain this is causing you. i wonder if it might be easier (IF it stays solid) to just cut chunks of equal weight, and ship them in zip lock bags? i did that with deer tallow, and it has stayed just fine in the freezer. thanks for doing this hazel, we have now all learned from what you are having to go through, way to go fearless leader!!!!

Yes, there is an odor. Not a pleasant smell but not repulsive, either. I'll definitely be scenting everything I make with it.

Wow, sorry for the pain this is causing you. i wonder if it might be easier (IF it stays solid) to just cut chunks of equal weight, and ship them in zip lock bags? i did that with deer tallow, and it has stayed just fine in the freezer. thanks for doing this hazel, we have now all learned from what you are having to go through, way to go fearless leader!!!!

Shucks. Thanks...I think. :lol: You're welcome. It's certainly been an interesting experience for me.

The problem is it came in a gallon jug. I would have had to cut the jug apart to get to the solid oil. Anyway, warm water did the trick. It was gloppy but it came out. I don't know why it took me so long to realize it might be a solid oil. After all, lard and tallow are solid. I guess I was just so busy between work and the holidays that I didn't think too much about it. However, that is a really good suggestion about bags. I'll have to consider it if I do this again. I bought some plastic food containers and have poured the oil into them. They're cooling and solidifying now. I'm hoping to get them mailed tomorrow after work but they may not go out until Thursday.

Thanks. You may not think so when you read the PM I sent you. :oops:

Interestingly, the ostrich oil didn't set up firm. It was a texture similar to super thick trace. The oil shifted a little when I picked up a container and tilted it slightly. However, I'm sure it will firm up a bit as it's shipped because of the cold.

Got mine! Can't wait to use it... I was reading some results of single-oil soaps on 'the other forum' and it mentioned that it makes a medium-hard, tan colored bar, with very little smell, maybe slightly oily smell, a mix of bubbles ranging from 'slime' or 'microbubbles' to medium and big bubbles, and that after 2yrs there is no sign of dos.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to make a whole new recipe for it, or sub it in one of my existing ones... hmmm

You just got it? It said on USPS tracking it was delivered Jan. 24. I'm going to be really ticked off at the post office if it arrived today.

Also, I'm wondering about seven's package. There hasn't been a further update for it since Monday.

No, I got it yesterday.... There was no postal service in our area most of the week due to weather. Maybe that was why? And our particular postal carrier has a bad habit of scanning all his stuff as delivered right off rather than when he actually delivers it, even if it's a saturday and he doesn't actually get it delivered till monday. Makes me crazy when I'm waiting for stuff. lol so who knows why it just got here, just glad it's here!

That's still a week later than it stated on the site. I'm not happy about this because I thought you had it already. I can understand weather affecting the delivery of the mail despite their creed. However, I don't like that it was shown as delivered when it wasn't.

Now I'm wondering if seven's package is stuck somewhere because of bad weather. The last it showed was it had been processed through Chicago.

I'm glad you got it because I think you're going to like it. I sort of used one of my regular recipes and subbed ostrich for one of the oils. By sort of, I mean I had an oopsie and added too much of an oil. So, I tweaked the percentages, recalculated the recipe and instead of 5% ostrich oil, it ended up being slightly over 6%.

I did a new recipe for the lotion and have already gotten 3 favorable feedbacks for it. I really like it, too. I now have to make another lotion batch plus make the balm and serum.

Oooh. I hadn't thought about lotion.... :) I'm making some in a couple days, I will have to play with some recipes. Once my shipment from WSP finally gets here. Also delayed from weather. *sigh* can't even soap until that gets here. I'm out of everything.

How does Ostrich Oil compare to Emu oil?

And lots of Parcels are stuck in Chicago, another site where I belong to where we order a lot of things directly from China folks have been complaining that everything through Chicago has been delayed for weeks... they are slowly clearing backlogs now and the first parcels that were sent in December are now arriving...

I think they're very similar but I might be wrong since I haven't studied them in depth. Supposedly, ostrich oil absorbs better than emu oil. I posted some links and you might find the info interesting.

http://www.emu-oil.com/research.html
http://www.justemuoil.com/ostrich-oil-vs-emu-oil/
http://ostrichproducersofontario.com/?page_id=26

Thanks for letting us know about the backlog in Chicago. However, this topic is from last year. But it was still nice of you to be concerned about the possibility we were wondering about the packages.

OMG - I didn't even notice!! I do hope parcels have arrived by now :razz:

Thanks for the links - I managed to get some Emu oil on ebay, I haven't come across ostrich oil before.

Latest posts

Back