Honey woes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I only added 2 tsp of honey to the one lb batch and yet it was so hard to break up all the way, even stick blending a lot. I wish I'd added some oats to the batch because when I was pouring the last of the soap I could see tiny dots of honey. They look like powdered oats flecks in the soap that's almost hardened now. If I would have stick blended more, the batch would have been to thick to pour smoothly.

I warmed the hoey before I added it. I miss honey powder but I don't see if sold at as many suppliers. :( Years ago I used that and I would just dissolve it in water beforehand. It always fully disssolved.

How did you add the honey?

I have good success when I either dilute it in warm water before adding it to my oils, or when I mix it in with my lye solution after it's cooled off.

IrishLass :)

What kind of honey are you using? I LOVE using acacia honey...shoot I don't know if that is how you say it in English, or if that is the word only in Italian. It's nearly completely clear, very very liquid, with a poppin' honey smell. The best I've found so far for soap making.

I've also found that adding more than 1 tsp of honey per pound does super funky thinks to my soap, but if you can add that much without it going orange and stinky (both of which got mildly better), good for you!

I have read that adding beeswax to a soap that has honey can help keep it suspended. Now I don't know if their is any truth behind that or not but I thought I would share.

I also dilute it in warm water and add it to oils, haven't had any problems adding it that way. I add 1 tbsp per kilo, yes I does turn the soap orange but within a few days it is tan and the funky smell goes away totally. Soaps with milk and honey are lovely on the skin.

I also dissolve my honey in warm water and then add to warm oils. I find it easier to use honey that doesn't have any crystallized bits or beeswax bits in it.
Carolyn

tlm884 said:
I have read that adding beeswax to a soap that has honey can help keep it suspended. Now I don't know if their is any truth behind that or not but I thought I would share.
I don't think that's true. Beeswax gets melted with the oils and honey is water soluble. They all combine, whether you use beeswax or honey or either.

Thank you everybody for your help! I added the warmed honey straight to the slighly warmed oils along with the scent and the goats milk before adding cooled lye water. I wanted to keep temps down for the sake of this being a milk and honey batch.

I'l for sure mix that honey in some water beforehand next time. I also think thinner honey might be better. This type I bought is kind of thick but very yummy on toast, at least. :)

So far Bee My Honey is a nice fragrance and great to work with. Underneath the slight ammonia smell from the milk, it's sweet and strong but I'll post more results about that when I have cut bars that are curing out without fading a lot. Fingers crossed!

If your using water and milk - you can warm a small portion of the milk, add the honey and then add back into the rest of the milk solution and add as normal (if that makes sense) It works well for me.

Also I have just switched to clear liquid honey, after struggling with manuka honey for ages - and man it makes a diference - no overheating or sweating.

busymakinsoap! said:
If your using water and milk - you can warm a small portion of the milk, add the honey and then add back into the rest of the milk solution and add as normal (if that makes sense) It works well for me.

Also I have just switched to clear liquid honey, after struggling with manuka honey for ages - and man it makes a diference - no overheating or sweating.

Good idea. I'm trying the recipe again this weekend. One batch might have the specks and one doesn't but I hope the bars with them still make nice gifts.

Back