Lotion with preservative has orange spots around the edges - bacteria apparently!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've just joined here and it looks like a lot of great stuff happening.

I started making lotion last week. Been making CP soap for a few months. So I made the lotion and it turned out great except it apparently has mold growing on it. Yikes! Orange spots around the edges of the tins that are growing. :confused:

I disinfected all my equipment and containers in a bleach bath and dried them with paper towels as directed (1 gallon water with 1 oz. bleach).

Here's the recipe I got off Brambleberry.com for making lotion from scratch:

1.7 oz sweet almond oil
1 oz avocado oil (I used apricot kernel and jojoba, being out of avo oil)
1 oz stearic acid
1.2 oz emulsifying wax
1.2 oz shea butter
18 oz distilled water
.2 oz phenonip
.1 oz fragrance or EO

The directions said to let the lotion cool for 1-2 hours with caps off. I used flat 4 oz tins that have rust resistant coating, not bottles. I ran them all through the bleach bath and dried with paper towels.

Is this the wrong method? Why would I be getting orange spots of mold? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Same thing happened to me - by the way, I used glass jars.
, post: 655159, member: 23683"]
So I've just joined here and it looks like a lot of great stuff happening.

I started making lotion last week. Been making CP soap for a few months. So I made the lotion and it turned out great except it apparently has mold growing on it. Yikes! Orange spots around the edges of the tins that are growing. :confused:

I disinfected all my equipment and containers in a bleach bath and dried them with paper towels as directed (1 gallon water with 1 oz. bleach).

Here's the recipe I got off Brambleberry.com for making lotion from scratch:

1.7 oz sweet almond oil
1 oz avocado oil (I used apricot kernel and jojoba, being out of avo oil)
1 oz stearic acid
1.2 oz emulsifying wax
1.2 oz shea butter
18 oz distilled water
.2 oz phenonip
.1 oz fragrance or EO

The directions said to let the lotion cool for 1-2 hours with caps off. I used flat 4 oz tins that have rust resistant coating, not bottles. I ran them all through the bleach bath and dried with paper towels.

Is this the wrong method? Why would I be getting orange spots of mold? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me. I used the exact recipe, sanitized everything with bleach and disinfected with alcohol and today, opened a jar and there was this orange mold on the top. Unfortunately, I didn't catch it before I put it on, hopped in the shower and scrubbed it off. I looked at other jars that I made, and so far, there hasn't been anything.

Not sure why it would do that.
Was the temperature 80゚ or below when you added the preservative to your oils/butters?

Latest posts

Back