So, about colorants...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathaholic

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered a million times, I did a search and didn't find anything that was specific to what I need. I have batch certified FD&C and D&C dye powders and would like to make my own liquid colors to use in bombs, scrubs, etc. I work with liquids much better than powders and since I'm going to start selling my products soon, I'd like to be able to make custom products or small batches on a whim.

I've been scouring the internet and have yet to find a "recipe" that tells me the best way to do this (powder to liquid ratio). I tried mixing a small amount with distilled water and a preservative, but it sets off the citric acid in bath bombs and embeds. I tried mixing it with alcohol but all the color settles at the bottom and even after shaking, I get more alcohol than color.

Looking at the ingredients for some pre-made, retail colorants I see that some use glycerin. Is this the best thing to use to make a powder a liquid, and in what ratio? These colors will be used in bath bombs, scrubs, salts, etc.

TIA!

Right now when I make a batch of product, I mix color specific to that product. For example, if I'm making bath bombs I mix a bit of dye powder in alcohol in a separate container and dump that into my mix. I'm trying to find how to make a bigger batch of liquid color from my powders so that I don't need to do that extra step - which gets a bit time consuming since I have to measure the dye and liquid for each color I want to use to maintain consistency.

I'm not selling the colorant, I'm selling the colored product.

I do have some bloomed in baking soda that I keep in bags and use for embeds. I was thinking of using them in bath bombs which is fine for single colors, but gets a bit tricky with measuring if I'm doing two or more colors.

But now you have me thinking that maybe I could use the dye/soda mix and make a liquid dye from that. Hmm.

I'm sorry I can't help you with these, but maybe vendors who sell these dyes can advise you for what you are looking to do. Most are experts on colorants, and if they can't/won't help you, than I would cross them off your "preferred" vendor list.

I was blooming too but it seems like there is no enough color in the bathtub, the bb very dark but not water, I stopped doing it, and the best option for me is to add the powdered dye the easiest and works every time, you just have to mix it well

I tried mixing it with alcohol but all the color settles at the bottom and even after shaking, I get more alcohol than color.

Hi, and welcome - love your screen name! : D

I just had a thought; if the only thing with the alcohol blend was that the color was sitting at the bottom, and shaking it didn`t help... Would it be helpfull to add a few tiny balls of those nailpolish marbles that is in the nailpolish bottles? So when you shake/swirl the bottle it stirrs up the sediment and makes the color disperse and the mix becomes saturated again?

I never tried it myself as I always mix and match when I make fizzies, which isn`t very often.. But thought I`d throw it out there : )

Your post is confusing because there are so many different colorants out there, even in powers. Some of them can only be dispersed in oil, which is common for white titanium dioxide, some of them only in glycerin, and some are water dispersible like the lakes.

What colorants exactly are you trying to mix?

Hi, and welcome - love your screen name! : D

I just had a thought; if the only thing with the alcohol blend was that the color was sitting at the bottom, and shaking it didn`t help... Would it be helpfull to add a few tiny balls of those nailpolish marbles that is in the nailpolish bottles? So when you shake/swirl the bottle it stirrs up the sediment and makes the color disperse and the mix becomes saturated again?

I never tried it myself as I always mix and match when I make fizzies, which isn`t very often.. But thought I`d throw it out there : )

Thank you! Bathaholic is also the name of my company. I'm hoping to officially launch it by the end of the month. Your suggestion might work!

You could try mixing them with glycerin. But I have no idea if that will activate the fizz.

I don't think glycerin will make the citric react..I'll have to play around with it.

Your post is confusing because there are so many different colorants out there, even in powers. Some of them can only be dispersed in oil, which is common for white titanium dioxide, some of them only in glycerin, and some are water dispersible like the lakes.

What colorants exactly are you trying to mix?

Sorry about that! My brain seems to work faster than my fingers sometimes. :) I am using pure dye (about 93%, not micas, ultramarines, or lakes). They are batch certified FD&C dyes like Blue #1.

ha ha I have the same problem with my brain! I am not an expert, but from what you say, seem they are water soluble, which is good for BB.

I would do a test. Like Dahila says I would NOT use glycerin. You have no idea the ring around the tub you will get and your bombs will be yuck. Had that experience...

Get two glass containers one filled with water, and another with alcohol, and drop a tiny bit of your colorant and watch it react. Then you will know.

Again, I still would never personally spray my bomb with alcohol. I would mix the colorant with the alcohol, and apply with brush. Is more time consuming, but you will see the difference.

Hope that helps.

I know the dyes are soluble in water and alcohol (and glycerin) from what I've tested. They are not soluble in oil.

What do you mean by "apply with brush"?

Latest posts

Back