Grieving pet loss

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Without going into details, in the coarse of four days, my dog Winston went from perfectly happy to extreme pain with no end in sight and reduced quality of life.

This morning dh and I made the difficult decision to let him go. He was only 5 years old, I watch be born and he's been at my side since.

I've lost dogs before but none like this, I feel like a child had died. My heart is breaking and I don't know what to do. DH is taking it even worse and Winston's little sister is looking for him.

For those who have pets, give them a big hug and never forget the love they have for you.

Winston 1 day old
24xl2eh.jpg

This was around 2 years ago
de7dc9.jpg

Out last morning together. Mom and sister are in the background.
t6tqc6.jpg

I'm so sorry for you loss. Something I have read regarding pets - "They don't know their lives are short, only that they are full." It is so hard when it comes on so suddenly, and in the prime of their lives. It is easier (still sad, but less gut wrenching) to let them go at the end of a long, full life. I know his life with you was joyous, even if it was much too short.

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost a 3 year old dog due to a condition that developed suddenly, so I understand what a hard thing it is to go through. He had a good life, although too short, with you and the most important thing is that he was dearly loved. What a beautiful boy.

What a precious one he was. That `like` I just gave you was a kind, virtual hug of support, not because I `liked` hearing about this (but I think you got that) <3

This is so sad, I am so sorry this happened. The worst part is that you get no time at all to mentally prepare, everything happens so quickly, like a whirlwind of heartbreaking circumstances that do not care about the emotions involved : (

Even when you do get some time to prepare, it is always terrible. Sadness no matter what. Take care.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about Winston. You can take comfort in knowing that you gave him a really good home and life.

Obsidian, what a handsome man he was. I'm so sorry for your loss. I grew up with a Doxie named Sam who looked just like Winston. You gave him a wonderful life, even though it was short. Hugs to you!

I am so very sorry for your loss. Truly my heart breaks for you. That is one major reason all my pets are in the aquarium now. I grieve every pet I have ever lost. Except fish.

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: It's always hard to let go, especially when you have to make the decision to end their suffering. Know that what you did, you did from a place of love and compassion.

I've had to say goodbye to a fair number of my 4-footed friends. It's always hard, but it's so incredibly keenly painful when a young one dies. I grieve for you and your DH, Obsidian.

You gave Winston a lifetime worth of love in the short years that you had him. Some animals never get to know that kind of happiness. Not allowing him to suffer was the last act of love that you could show him. I lost one cat of 12 years last fall, and I had to make that decision too. I now have her almost 13 year old companion, who's in heart failure. I've promised him that I won't let him get to the point where he's in distress or pain. It's a tough decision to make, but the alternative is to allow them to suffer, and that's not an option. We love them, and so we make the hard decisions. My heart goes out to you, I know just how painful it is, and I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. But loving an animal like you did is always worth it.

Awww. :cry::cry: I'm so sorry to hear your sweet friend passed.

I totally understand the not knowing what to do. We had to put my 18 month old dog down four years ago and my whole family (husband and two young sons) just sat around and cried for hours.

Hugs and heartfelt wishes for peace.

Back