Hello from South Africa

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c4chucky

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently started a beard care and shaving company. I started making beard balms and shaving lotions for men.
Seeing that I had all the ingredients, I started making soap as well and I loved it.

My goal is to create the best shaving soap. And first prize would be to combine a shaving soap with a shampoo bar to double up as a beard wash.
So, anyone with ideas for shaving soaps and shampoo bars, please, let me pick your brain.

My first three soaps turned out great! I used recipes from Pinterest and Made some awesome coffee, green tea and rooibos tea soap.
Then I turned to a lye calculator and tried my own recipes and all three failed.
Luckily this weekend, I had another success. So, I am still aiming for the beard and shave soap that will change the industry.

Regards,
Chucky

Well okay, I don't want to come across as too rude or anything but it feels a lot like you are way to inexperienced to make and sell your own soap with only a couple of batches under your belt. If you were experienced and knowledgeable enough to sell you would already know the answers to your questions.

If you actually want to put the effort into learning what you need to at least start by reading this whole tread, it's a lot of reading but great information:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. Please read the rules for the forum and you will more understand some of the responses you are likely to get. Making soap requires a lot of research, trial and error as well as testing. It can take a year or so to be sure of its quality and stability

Thanks for your response guys.
I appreciate your help.
Please don't get me wrong. My goal is not simply to make a quick buck. I have a real passion to help men enjoy shaving again. I want to introduce them to the authentic wet shave and to make use of proper preparation and after care.
Even though I discovered soap making almost by proxy, I have really found a passion for it. I understand this is an art and a science. I am eager to learn more and to do better. I am not here to plagurise, but to grow.

Then stop what you are doing and read the whole of that thread - if you want to make a good shaving soap, you need to ignore the vast majority of "mommy-bloggers". There are a lot of good soaps out there, as well as some AMAZING ones. You won't "revolutionise" wet shaving without a lot more research, and certainly not without KOH!

Welcome! It's always good to hear your enthusiasm, Chucky! Also, I love that there are so many soapers in this forum from all over the world. That's always awesome :) I do concur, I won't sell mine online (maybe next year as a hobbyist part time seller), yet. I test all my recipes on my self first because I have very sensitive skin and can't handle fragrance.
Good luck to you!

Thanks Nao for the link. I will definitely try out this recipe. The lather looks great!

Dear Graig. Thanks for the advice. I realise that I still have much to learn. Until now, I attained most of my recipes from the, so called, mommy bloggers. I am humbled and relieved that I have found this forum, so that I will no longer stray down that path. It seems you follow a similar philosophy and I appreciate your input. I have purchased KOH over the weekend and I will follow that recipe to start off with. Would you recommend a KOH only, or a mixture of KOH and NaOH?

Hello! Trial and error is the only way to a perfect recipe. Even if you got one, you might not be successful in soap business. ( ask me how I found out. Been soaping for years, and now I struggle to find a niche market for my business. )

Do NOT sell until you at least have 1 year of soaping experience.

And welcome! Hope you find out that we are saying it for Consumers and YOUR own good.

Back