Looking for a Barber Shop FO that won't accelerate or rice in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been using the Barber Shop FO from WSP and I absolutely love the smell of it, but it is horribly difficult to use in CP soap making because it instantly seizes up the soap as soon as it touches it. Usually I'm able to sort of beat the clumps out, but it's not ideal. Does anyone have a recommendation for another Barber Shop FO that doesn't seize your soap? Thanks!

I've used BB Shave and A Haircut - it accelerates a bit but I was still able to do a 2-color taiwan swirl with no problems - just keep the soap temp low.

Hey everyone,

I've been using the Barber Shop FO from WSP and I absolutely love the smell of it, but it is horribly difficult to use in CP soap making because it instantly seizes up the soap as soon as it touches it. Usually I'm able to sort of beat the clumps out, but it's not ideal. Does anyone have a recommendation for another Barber Shop FO that doesn't seize your soap? Thanks!

I haven`t found a barbershop fragrance before, so I am no help there. But I did have a fragrance that was a TERRIBBLE accelerator, it was so agressive the soap gelled in the pot after 1 minute!

But what I found, was that is was behaving if I added the fragrance to my roomtemperature oils first, and stickblended the fragrance in the oils, let it sit for a minute, and then handstirred when the lye has been poured in.

Then it was easypeasy to work with it, and I could even get swirling going on if I wanted to!

Don`t know if you tried that, but at least that was a BIG help for me working with a fragrance I otherwise had to leave unused, especially since my crockpot broke and couldn`t save it for HP soap.

I use Barbershop 1920's from Rustic Escentuals and it is an absolute dream to work with- no A at all, although it does D to a beige/tan, which I'm perfectly fine with. I have plenty of time to work with it. For what it's worth, I soap it @ 1oz ppo with a 33% lye concentration (2:1 water to lye ratio) between 110F-115F soaping temps. I love, love, love this scent. Happily, my hubby does, too. He says it smells exactly like how his dad used to smell after getting a shave down at the barbershop.

I also like to use it as a blender with Bay (Pimenta Racemosa) EO. It smells absolutely fantastic.

IrishLass :)

So the way I have been making soap recently is with masterbatched lye (2:1 water:lye) at room temperature, and I let my oil get down to about 100°-110° F before mixing in the lye water. Once it's at super light trace, I add in the Barber Shop and pretty much instantly it starts to harden right where the FO is touching the soap. It's insane. I have others that rice pretty quickly but this is just ridiculous. I thought doing everything at low temps would help, but it almost seems to be making things worse.

Should I be heating the FO before adding to the soap?

I haven't tried adding the FO to my oils before mixing yet because I usually make 1 big batch of soap and split it in 2 so I can make 2 different kinds of soap. I may just have to start making this one by itself...

What I would do is use full water with it (2.57:1 water to lye ratio, aka a 28% lye concentration).

I was reading some of the reviews for Barber Shoppe on the WSP site and there seems to be a mixture of experiences with some reporting the same accelerating results as you, and others reporting no acceleration, but they didn't specify any details, i.e., how much water they used, etc....

Then I went over to TheScentReviewBoard and found 1 review on it with details that were more revealing to me. The soaper used it at 1oz ppo with full-water and didn't experience any acceleration, so it seems like full water may be the trick in getting this FO to behave.

If using full-water is not your cup of tea, I highly recommend Rustic Escentuals Barbershop 1920's FO. It doesn't A at all with a 2:1 lye concentration and/or warm temps- not for me or any of the other reviewers I've come across.

What I would do is use full water with it (2.57:1 water to lye ratio, aka a 28% lye concentration).

I was reading some of the reviews for Barber Shoppe on the WSP site and there seems to be a mixture of experiences with some reporting the same accelerating results as you, and others reporting no acceleration, but they didn't specify any details, i.e., how much water they used, etc....

Then I went over to TheScentReviewBoard and found 1 review on it with details that were more revealing to me. The soaper used it at 1oz ppo with full-water and didn't experience any acceleration, so it seems like full water may be the trick in getting this FO to behave.

If using full-water is not your cup of tea, I highly recommend Rustic Escentuals Barbershop 1920's FO. It doesn't A at all with a 2:1 lye concentration and/or warm temps- not for me or any of the other reviewers I've come across.

I will give the Rustic Escentuals FO a try as soon as I run out of the 16oz bottle I bought from WSP. Thanks for the recommendation!

Latest posts

Back