Scents you are looking for

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Just curious about what scents you are looking for? Not the more common ones, like coconut or the perfect vanilla, but something more obscure? For me, I am looking for Osmanthus (sometimes called tea olive or fragrant olive) and fragrant heliotrope.

Ive seen Osmanthus in a few places, is it hard to get in the States?

Mine is Death and Decay - Nuture Soap do it but the shipping is prohibitive to the UK

I'd love a good dupe of Palmolive soap and Old Spice. I've tried one OS dupe (can't remember form where) but it didn't stick at all.

Just curious about what scents you are looking for? Not the more common ones, like coconut or the perfect vanilla, but something more obscure? For me, I am looking for Osmanthus (sometimes called tea olive or fragrant olive) and fragrant heliotrope.

MMS has it in FO form: https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Osmanthus-Fragrance-Oil.html

....and Eden Botanicals has it in absolute form (very expensive!): http://www.edenbotanicals.com/osmanthus-absolute.html

I'm with Carolyn- I love that just-after-the rain scent. Here's an interesting article I ran into about it about how it's manufactured in India where it is known as mitti attar: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/04/making-perfume-from-the-rain/391011/ I've been working on my own blend of FOs to try and create that smell. I'm using TSW's Tonic, WSP's Dirt and Daystar's Ahoy Matey. It's pretty close, but not quite there yet.

wearytraveler said:
I've tried one OS dupe (can't remember form where) but it didn't stick at all.

I have the one from Oregon Trails, which smells spot-on, and it lasts fairly well in my soap. I have to do HP with it, though, because it accelerates like mad in my formula and threatens me with soap-on-a-stick when I CP it. It's not one of those FOs that's as strong as an acre of garlic, like Green Irish Tweed if you know what I mean, but it holds up quite nicely enough for me nevertheless.

IrishLass :)

Mine is the smell of rain, Petrichor. I want one that really smells like rain after it hits the earth

I too love that fragrance. Save on Scents carries this: (http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/203864)

Their description:
"True Rain Fragrance, Perfume & Body Oil : Earthy and fresh rain is beautifully portrayed in this fragrance. Petrichor in a bottle!"

I haven't used it, but I'm thinking about ordering some to see how it smells. I'm curious to see if it actually smells of petrichor, or if its just someone's "green, floral" interpretation of petrichor like so many other "rain type" scents.

I used to use a Pink Peony shower gel and lotion, by Perlier, which was discontinued quite awhile ago. It was a single note floral and I loved it, and would so like to find a peony that compared. I haven't found one yet.

Last edited:
I would like to find a FO to recreate how my grandpa's house smelled. It's a ancient Japanese styled wooden house build in Japan colony era. It smelled like wet wood because the weather here is subtropical so quite hot and humid. But it's not musty or growing mold kind of wet wood. It's warm, probably some human natural body odor but more like the sweet sweat or neutral kind, not that yucky kind of body odor. And some kind of light scented man cologne that you have to be in 30 cm close to smell it.
Mmm... I'm talking like that movie Perfume. Wish I could be that smart in scent blends. ( but not the cruel part )

I too love that fragrance. Save on Scents carries this: (http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/203864)

Their description:
"True Rain Fragrance, Perfume & Body Oil : Earthy and fresh rain is beautifully portrayed in this fragrance. Petrichor in a bottle!"

I haven't used it, but I'm thinking about ordering some to see how it smells. I'm curious to see if it actually smells of petrichor, or if its just someone's "green, floral" interpretation of petrichor like so many other "rain type" scents.

Ooooo! That sounds promising!

IrishLass :)

A good, true gardenia. When I was a child, we had a gardenia at the corner of the front walk and the driveway of our house. When it bloomed, you could smell it in the house and it smelled heavenly. As I remember, the flowers smelled sweet but in a warm, delicate way. Not in a powdery, cloying, can't breathe way, which is how most floral FOs smell to me. I also find many floral FOs are too sweet or I can smell the synthetic notes.

I would pay stupid-money for an accurate dupe of Jo Malone's discontinued perfume Sweet Lime and Cedar. I'v tried to recreate it with FOs and EOs, and it's not even close. I've tried perfumes themselves that claim to be a dupe (nope). I've even paid silly money on Ebay for ones claiming to be the real-deal (gah!). I used to be obsessed with that scent. I guess it will live on in my memories only now...

For regular FOs, I'd really like a true strawberry. Something that smells juicy and fresh and like the real thing. That reminds me... I need to do a sampling test.

I'd also love a real smelling ginger that has that sharp, tangy, strong scent you get when you you chop it up.

Lush use to carry one called Milky Bar, I loved it. I have no idea if there's something out there like it. If there is I haven't found it yet.

I also love their Lily Savon and recently got the dupe at Nuture, I haven't soaped it yet but I really hope it's close.

Victoria Secret use to carry a plain peach scent. No blend, just a simple peach, it was all I wore as a young teen/adult. I'd like that.

A good, true gardenia. When I was a child, we had a gardenia at the corner of the front walk and the driveway of our house. When it bloomed, you could smell it in the house and it smelled heavenly. As I remember, the flowers smelled sweet but in a warm, delicate way. Not in a powdery, cloying, can't breathe way, which is how most floral FOs smell to me. I also find many floral FOs are too sweet or I can smell the synthetic notes.

^^This! Also a good, true honeysuckle, and a good, true magnolia grandiflora. Not overwhelming, not sickeningly sweet.

^^This! Also a good, true honeysuckle, and a good, true magnolia grandiflora. Not overwhelming, not sickeningly sweet.

Honeysuckle would be another that I think would be difficult to create synthetically. It's another delicate, sweet floral. When I was young and found them, I'd pull the stamen (I think that's the proper term) out of the flower and suck the nectar off it. Not a really nice thing to do to a flower but they tasted lovely.

Back