Mechanic Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus, ultimately it doesn't need to lather at all, rather it needs to clean very grubby paws, which it does. It's not like a body soap where people expect to see bubbles to assume they are being cleaned - you can see the results as you use this mechanic soap and the grime is washed off

My husband said basically the same thing, he said he didn't care if it lathered, as long as it got the grease off of his hands. He took a bar with him to work today, so I will know more about how it's doing after a few days.

If they're anything like my dad, the guys in the shop will let you know whether your soap works or not! They might be clueless about whether their socks match or getting their dirty clothes in the laundry basket, but they do care about getting their hands clean. I am intrigued to know what they think!

You "guys are going to have me going to the hardware store before I pick up my son from daycare, just to get some kerosene so I can try this out!! My husband is going to kill me. Plus I just ordered some pine tar from Amazon to try that out. I hang with a rough bunch, plus I'm from the South :)

would someone please tell me where do I buy the kerosene from? Is there any restrictions?

Or look for lamp oil in the hardware store or places like Walmart. It's usually deodorized kerosene. It will cost more than the larger cans of space heater kerosene, but you might not want a whole gallon or more of this stuff! :)

I had to buy a gallon, which is allot considering how little is used. But I also knew if it worked I'd probably be making a bunch.

Another quick update: My hubby still says the soap works great. He said the first day it didn't lather that great, but after that it started to make good lather :-?, I don't know why that would happen. Anyway he has let several of his buddies try it as well and he said everyone he has let try it really likes it! I don't think I will try to tweak this recipe, I think this will be my "go-to" mechanic soap recipe. Thanks for all the feedback and help I have gotten here.

I sometimes see this "doesn't lather good, then lathers fine" thing with my soaps. I think sometimes there's a thin coating on the bar (soda ash? extra dry soap? ???) that just doesn't lather well and needs to be washed off.

I sometimes see this "doesn't lather good, then lathers fine" thing with my soaps. I think sometimes there's a thin coating on the bar (soda ash? extra dry soap? ???) that just doesn't lather well and needs to be washed off.

I find the same thing. The first time I use a soap it takes more work to lather up.

I also see this a lot. I tell people never to judge a soap on its first use, but it needs a "warm up round". I can't blame soda ash because a lot of my soaps are hot process and I've never seen ash on any hot process soap. I have a observational theory that it is since the soap has lost the moisture during cure...it needs a bit more added back to give all the lather it can. The only soaps I have used that don't improve after the first use are the ones that I press soap shreds and scraps together. My junior theory is that the shreds retain more moisture within the bar, and some air pockets with moisture as well, and so they don't need that first use to absorb moisture to "get them going" so to speak. I have also noticed that a bar that is solid lathers well, but the scraps that are shredded and pressed from that same recipe and batch seems to give more lather. Nothing solid, I haven't done testing on it, but just an observation.

After weeks of drying out while curing, I think the bars need to absorb a little moisture in order to become more soluble. I know my bars never lather at their potential until they've been used a few times. If I take a used bar, and stick it back on a shelf for a couple weeks, it had to be "re-primed" all over again.

Or look for lamp oil in the hardware store or places like Walmart. It's usually deodorized kerosene. It will cost more than the larger cans of space heater kerosene, but you might not want a whole gallon or more of this stuff! :)

Thank you for mentioning that DeeAnna
t4408.gif

I want to try this one day and make for my brother who likes to do work on his car. I just wasn`t sure what to use (I mean if your kerosene over there was the same kerosine type we have here in Norway.)
Turns out, I HAVE one of those deodorised kerosene bottles standing in my cupboard since we have an oil lamp we use when the electricity goes out from bad weather and wind. I can just use that!

Regarding changing the recipe to chase the lather, keep in mind that if they're using it to wash really greasy hands then that in itself will work against your lather!

I'm really interested in trying this, thank you for posting your experiment. I'm also curious about the kerosene vs turpentine both in efficacy and environmental concerns.

If anyone tries a turpentine version, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I decided yesterday to go ahead and make the mechanic soap with kerosene. I researched this forum and spent many many hours reading and re-reading the posts. I jotted down many notes and finally settled on "how" I was going to do it. I took notes on the steps and wanted to share in case anyone else was interested. Sorry, I only took pictures of the soap cut and not pictures of the process as I was wanted to make sure I done things correctly. I used a cardboard Velveeta box with a plastic bag as a liner for my mold because I wasn't sure if the kerosene would linger or damage the silicone molds. I made a 21 oz batch following the formula on here of how to determine mold size. The batter fit almost perfectly, it came above the top a hair, but I just piled it up. I decided on a 70% lard 30% coconut oil and soapcalc gave me the following:

Water as percent of oil weight: 38%
Superfat: 5%
Lard-14.70 oz
Coconut Oil: 6.30 oz
Water: 7.98 oz
Lye: 3.07 oz

Additives: 2.1 oz kerosene (10%)
1.35 oz fine ground pumice (thanks doriettefarm :) )

I mixed my lye solution and let it sit. Then I measured out my oils and nuked them to melt. When they had cooled a bit, I used the laser thermometer and seen the lye was around 90 and oils around 125. I added kerosene to the oils and pulsed a couple times with the stick blender to mix it. Then I poured in my lye solution and alternated stick blending on low, stir, then high, stir for several minutes (didn't time it, but guessing around 7 minutes or so) until I got it to what I felt was a thick trace (consistency per my notes was between brownie batter and cake batter--sorry I cook allot so that's my guide lol). Added in the pumice and stick blended until mixed good. Poured into my mold and covered with a piece of cardboard. At around 6 hours, the soap was hard, so I unmolded and cut. Hopefully it turns out to be what my husband was wanting, but we will see in a month or so.
Forgot to add the pics

I use cornmeal and dried coffee grinds along with the fine pumice for my scrubby soap. The guys seem to like it and my gardener friends rave about it.

Back