Newbie Here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genesis215

Reaction score
I have never made a soap in my life.
I let that sink in. Lol!
I have Sjorgrens Snydrome and dry skin.
I tried about 50 different homemade soaps and none feel as good as Dove.
I went all natural in my food and make my own cleaning products, cosmetics and salves, etc...
I don't like the chemicals in Dove soap.
Is there anyone who has sensitive skin who has a soap recipe that feels like Dove soap that they would be willing to share? I'm desperate.
Thank you!

Looking at the ingredients for the basic dove white bar (instead of the sensitive or "fancy" bars), the basic "soap ingredient" is tallow. I would suggest a recipe high in tallow or lard.

What ingredients do you have an issue with? By definition soap is not all natural because soap is not found in nature. What sorts of homemade soaps have you tried? If we know specifics we can help you figure out a good starting recipe

TeresaT is a member here who also has Sjorgrens Syndrome. A recipe she recommended in another post is olive oil 40%, lard 40%, coconut oil 15%,castor oil 5%. I can't link the post right now, but if you search for it her post is #4 in a thread about help for dry skin from thyroid problems.

If you can figure out an advanced search use the keyword 'syndrome' and user TeresaT. I will post the link later, if someone doesn't find it before I am able. She had a couple of other suggestions too.

ETA: Here is a link to the thread: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57507&highlight=syndrome

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help. I will try TheresaT's soap and let you know how it works out. I have a lot to read and a few things to buy. It may be awhile before I post again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Awesome video btw. Thank you!

Looking at the ingredients for the basic dove white bar (instead of the sensitive or "fancy" bars), the basic "soap ingredient" is tallow. I would suggest a recipe high in tallow or lard.

What ingredients do you have an issue with? By definition soap is not all natural because soap is not found in nature. What sorts of homemade soaps have you tried? If we know specifics we can help you figure out a good starting recipe

I don't really know what ingredients I'm sensitive to. It's more of a dry feeling than a reaction. I've tried way to many soaps over the years to know specifics and most get dismissed after just one minute when I start to feel dried out almost immediately. Dove doesn't make me feel that way.

I, too, would start with a higher lard bar, then work my percentages down. I probably would go to this:

Lard 80%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5-8%

Do, however, watch Soaping 101 for her techniques. Not the recipes. I am not fond of her recipes. Or watch Soap Queen's beginner videos. She has a 4 part series that covers all the basics. Again, the procedures, not her recipes.

Newbie Here

I, too, would start with a higher lard bar, then work my percentages down. I probably would go to this:

Lard 80%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5-8%

Do, however, watch Soaping 101 for her techniques. Not the recipes. I am not fond of her recipes. Or watch Soap Queen's beginner videos. She has a 4 part series that covers all the basics. Again, the procedures, not her recipes.

Great advice, just one little important thing, if you watch soap queen's channel, do NOT use Pyrex to mix lye solution. I repeat, do NOT use Pyrex! Pyrex and glass will etch and shattered even the glass is new. You don't want spilled lye solution and shattered glass all over you.

blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/...-as-shatterproof-as-it-once-was-report-finds/

I don't really know what ingredients I'm sensitive to. It's more of a dry feeling than a reaction. I've tried way to many soaps over the years to know specifics and most get dismissed after just one minute when I start to feel dried out almost immediately. Dove doesn't make me feel that way.

Just to chime in, I strongly suggest avoiding scents and colorants, even natural ones for now. Some of those ingredients are terribly irritating for sensitive skin. Also, some of the "chemicals" in Dove may actually more beneficial for your skin than you may give it credit for, especially if that soap did not dry your skin out as much. Dove can actually be likened to a type of syndet in many respects since even I acknowledge it as a much gentler soap.

Lastly, please try to resist the urge to call chemicals bad- they are not all bad. We are all walkings sacks of chemicals and everything we handle is also full of chemicals. Even water is a chemical.

^^^^ this!

"Dove is the best soap I have ever used. I tried to use ones that avoid 'teh chemicals' and they were terrible" - why not just use Dove? I'm not saying that you shouldn't make and use some awesome soaps, but ultimately it sounds like the 'chemical'-laden Dove was much better for you than the 'chemical free' soaps. You might not find a recipe which works for you as well as dove does. You might, though. One thing should be clear - chemical free does not instantly equate to better for your particular skin

^^^^ I have to agree with the above. My daughter has had skin issues since she was a baby and even now, I can use some of my soaps with her but the best soaps for her skin were clearasil and some castiles. Syndet bars are a more advanced level soap for a beginner but it may be something to look into. YOu might be able to come up with a recipe that might even trump Dove (for you).

Latest posts

Back