~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Soap dries out my hands - confusing.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3032 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 189

You can substitute rice bran oil for the olive oil. You can also substitute palm, tallow or lard for the olive oil. Make sure to run the recipe through a lye calculator. Here is a link with oil properties:
http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/p...oapmaking-oils

Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Obsidian

Liked 4295 Times on 2540 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Clay is the worse additive I've ever used in soap, it dries me out terrible, even in small amounts.
High OO is also hard on my skin, more then 30% makes my skin really tight.
I like a recipe high in lard or palm, lard being prefered.

Lard or palm 50%
Coconut 20%
Olive or avocado 25%
Castor 5%

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
toxikon

Liked 844 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Clay is the worse additive I've ever used in soap, it dries me out terrible, even in small amounts.
High OO is also hard on my skin, more then 30% makes my skin really tight.
I like a recipe high in lard or palm, lard being prefered.

Lard or palm 50%
Coconut 20%
Olive or avocado 25%
Castor 5%
My favourite bar right now has bentonite clay in it! I was surprised that I love it so much. It's a very hard, smooth, creamy bar. I used 1 tsp PPO. I wouldn't go higher than that though. And I actually used a very similar recipe to the one you posted above.

Last edited by toxikon; 04-21-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Q-Lee Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #14
Q-Lee

Liked 23 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks a lot for all helpful answers and tips. Using tallow or lard isn't an option because it's difficult to come by here in Norway (believe it or not).
I have Palm Oil and Palm Kernel - but been a bit skeptic to use those in combination with Coconut Oil since I've read it can be tough on the skin.
But then again..I thought Olive Oil should be very gentle

Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
Q-Lee

Obsidian: Have you tried to substitute some Palm with Shea butter,and some Olive Oil with Rice Bran ?
If so at what amount?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4420 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 3566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Lee View Post
Thanks a lot for all helpful answers and tips. Using tallow or lard isn't an option because it's difficult to come by here in Norway (believe it or not).
I have Palm Oil and Palm Kernel - but been a bit skeptic to use those in combination with Coconut Oil since I've read it can be tough on the skin.
But then again..I thought Olive Oil should be very gentle

Palm oil is great if you don't want to use or can't get lard. Is your palm kernel a liquid or flakes! If it's the flakes it can be used in conjunction with CO by splitting the amount between them. They are both cleansing oils. Palm Oil isn't drying.
Q-Lee Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #17
Obsidian

Liked 4295 Times on 2540 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Lee View Post
Obsidian: Have you tried to substitute some Palm with Shea butter,and some Olive Oil with Rice Bran ?
If so at what amount?
I have a vegetarian recipe that uses 20% shea instead of palm or lard, its not too bad but has quite a lot of coconut to help counter the lather killing properties of shea.

I've only used rice bran a couple times, around 30%. I honestly don't know how it compares to OO as I didn't use that particular soap.

I used to use PKO in place of coconut and I liked it quite a lot. I only went to coconut because its so much easier for me to find.

If you want to try the recipe I posted earlier, use the palm in place of the lard and the PKO in place of the coconut. I don't really understand why so many people use PKO and coconut in the same recipe when PKO is just fine on its own.

Olive oil does make a gentle soap, it won't strip too much of your natural oils. The tightness some people experience with it isn't because its a harsh soap, something else it at play, I just don't know what.
Q-Lee Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #18
Q-Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
Palm oil is great if you don't want to use or can't get lard. Is your palm kernel a liquid or flakes! If it's the flakes it can be used in conjunction with CO by splitting the amount between them. They are both cleansing oils. Palm Oil isn't drying.
My Palm Kernel Oil is solid..a bit like 92 deg Coconut in texture.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:25 AM   #19
Arimara

Liked 1154 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 3760

I'm odd. I have a few bars with clays and they aren't drying for me. I guess my skin likes clay.
Q-Lee Likes This 
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #20
Rune

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aihrat View Post

It looks like Norway wouldn't have hard water or a dry climate, so if those aren't an issue, I'd look into lowering the coconut oil percentage further. Increasing the superfat for such a soft recipe seems risky.
Norway does have a very dry climate. Hard water, I don't know. But in the winther, absolutely every single drop of water freezes, so the air is as dry as it can get. But that depends again on where in Norway you live. I guess the rainy western area are not so dry. But most parts of Norway is crisp dry in the winther, if it is cold degrees outside.

My hands gets so dry that they will bleed in the winther that I have to use a special cream to make them soft again (Kerodex71, the best I have tried). So we definately have a dry climate, but dry in another way that in the desert or hot areas. Like freeze dried.

My first soap was also drying to the skin, even if it is 100% olive oil and with a superfatting (I don't remember the %, but it was under 10). But I did some strange things since I did not have ingredients, so it can be a lot of factors. I did zap test both the soap and the lather, but I'm not sure how this zap is supposed to feel. I did not feel like battery licking. So what I suspect, is that a homemade soap is way stronger and more consentrated that store bought liquid soap. They do water it down a lot. But homemade is not watered down, so maybe that is the thing. It is stronger than we are used too. But I don't know. The next time I will use 15-20% superfat and some wax, to see if that helps.

I don't have dry skin at all, except from on my hands. They are notorius for drying out instantly. So now I can actually see a difference in dryness from the left hand to the right, where I hold the soap in the shower. More dry on the right hand. But, better luck next time.

People Like This