~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > A cut toward more professional bars

Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
CaraBou
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2547 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1851

Default A cut toward more professional bars

After six years of soaping, I finally want the option to sell. It seemed like too much hassle before, but this year I had enough serious inquiries that I want to give it a try. I don't expect I will get too wrapped up though, as I have a full-time job and really value my free time. I don't want soaping to become a chore.

I already made one hard choice. I ordered a different cutter so I can produce bars of equal width. I already have a beautiful wooden multi-wire cutter that my husband handmade a few years ago, and I feel sad and guilty for replacing it. But I finally had the dreaded conversation with him, and he supported me in buying something different. I'll still use his cutter for purposefully placed cuts and ends when they are needed, since it has flexibility to allow those.

I got the 1 1/8" metal Bud cutter, hoping the cured bars will be about 1" wide. Compared to the smaller DH cuts (around 3/4"), these will fit my boxes better and be a better value to customers, while hopefully not being too big for most hands.

Anyone else use a 1 1/8" cut, and do you get feedback that it's a reasonable size? I made a decision based on the factors above, but I'm still curious what your experience might be. I didn't want to ask until I couldn't change my mind -- or I might not have ever ordered the dang thing!

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4789 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 4028

I have that same cutter and love it. In my molds it gives me about 5 oz bars a bit more than an inch wide. My customers seem to like them a lot. Congratulations. I had the same thing, my husband made my first cutter but I needed something a little heavier duty. So, I gave it to my sister in law who just makes soap for fun.

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
Obsidian

Liked 4752 Times on 2782 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I cut my bars one at a time but the mark on my guide is 1 1/8". Assuming I actually cut them at that size, my cured bars are all 1" or slightly larger.
I have small hands and this thickness is not too big. What I do have trouble with is wide bars, tall & skinny for my hands is better then a typical wide square.
CaraBou Likes This 
Old 12-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2423 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 2846

Best of luck to you CaraBou. Let us know how it's going every so often.
People Like This 
Old 12-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
CaraBou
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2547 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1851

Thanks you three, I appreciate the feedback -- and your support.

Obsidian, that's great testimony from your small hands. It's exactly what I wanted to know.

Shari, I'm glad your cutter stayed in the family. Sharing the love without letting it get too far away!

shunt2011 Likes This