Store Closures and openings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam's Club is closing the new store (2 or 3 years old) in Moline this month. In fact more than 25% of all Sam's Clubs in Illinois are closing.

Happily, though, Costco is opening a new store in Davenport, IA and I really miss Costco. They treat their employees so much better and I like their product choices so much more. My husband says it's supposed to open in May. I will finally be able to buy Kirkland Olive Oil.

I have only been in a Costco once or twice, but I agree with you, Earlene -- I like it better than Sam's Club. I don't have any clue if they treat their employees better than the Walton empire does, but Costco products are more interesting and useful to me.

That's good to know. I appreciate companies who treat people fairly.

Costco here in Florida has a great reputation for that as well. Our Sams is closing on the 26th. No love lost with me, although there are many parents from our school that work there. I understand that they will be paid until March, that's a very good thing!

We have a Costco close to where we live. Our kids had friends who worked there, and while it might not have been their dream job, I never heard any of them complain. Costco is one of the few stores DH doesn't mind going to, so he generally is the one who shops there. I just give him a list :mrgreen: Also, his being the one to go helps me avoid the Chicago Mix popcorn samples.

My sister has worked for Walmart for years. Things have changed since Sam Walton died. When he was in control, the employees were well treated. They even had the option of buying stock in Walmart.

I know many people who work there, and no one thinks about quitting, Costco is huge but Customers are really respected there, Most of my shopping is done there. :) in 2019 Ikea is coming to my city finally , the closest one is 190 km

earlene, that is great news, not about Sam's closing, but about Davenport getting a Costco, I'm always envious of the stuff my SIL gets from there and I'm only about 40 minutes from D-Port!

I belong to both. I frequent Costco much more frequently as they are on my way home from work. Sam's things I like that Costco doesn't have but I buy more at Costco. So, when my Sam's expires I won't be renewing it. I have a couple family members that work for Costco and they don't mind it at all. Say it's a great company to work for.

Mommycarlson, I did not realize we were so close. Before Sam's came to Moline, I did all my Sam's shopping in Davenport. The new Costco is going to be very near where Target & Aldi are at 53rd Ave and Elmore, so a good location off of I-74 and not far from I-80 on the north end of town. Even Hwy 61 would get you there if you come from North of Davenport.

I've used the Kirkland Olive Oil since I started soaping; it seems to be of great quality and I love it. One thing I'll note is that the first time I bought it (April 2016) I believe the price was $26.99 for 2 3-liter bottles, and now the price is up to $31.99. It's still my go-to olive oil, but if the price keeps creeping up, it may be time to explore other options.

Regardless, enjoy the new Costco - we've found it's like having a dishwasher. Once you have one, you can't envision living without it! :)

My sister has worked for Walmart for years. Things have changed since Sam Walton died. When he was in control, the employees were well treated. They even had the option of buying stock in Walmart.

I have to say though, that Walmart also hires all types of people. When my oldest was 17, and he has autism, nobody wanted to give him a job, but Walmart did. So I was so thankful for that.

I shop twice a month at Costco, and never leave without a rotisserie chicken. I recognize all the faces of the employees there from many a moon ago...one can only presume with low turnaround in the employee ranks they must be happy...

Well we went over to the closing Sam's Club in Moline today. 75% OFF everything but the liquor, which they can't legally do in Illinois, so guess what was left? TONS of liquor! We don't buy liquor anyway, so all I bought was a couple of bottles of salad dressing, a book by Lee Childs that I haven't read yet and that was it. The humungous warehouse is almost completely empty. They officially close in 3 more days, but there's really nothing left to buy unless you want liquor, salad dressing, eye glass frames, or one of 4 different software items, and something called HearMuffs for babys. That's all there was left. Oh, and three or 4 books.

Last edited:
I have only been in a Costco once or twice, but I agree with you, Earlene -- I like it better than Sam's Club. I don't have any clue if they treat their employees better than the Walton empire does, but Costco products are more interesting and useful to me.

Costco really does treat their employees much better - they pay them better, their benefits are better, more full time employees, and it's just a better environment.

Not sure what they were like before Sam Walton died (or when he died) - my sister has worked for Sam's for 15 years, and has just surpassed the $15 an hour mark. Barely got offered benefits (full time) 5 years ago, and has been denied management positions several times even though she has a business degree in management.
Their bonus' are directly related to the particular store they work in, and the profit/loss margins that particular store has.

My nephew (her son) worked at that same Sam's for about 6 months, quit, went to work at Costco in the same department (meat dept.) and he said it's like night and day - the pay, benefits, atmosphere, and just general respect from the management team are (in his words) "a billion times better"

Maybe my sisters experience is unique to this particular store/area, but IMO, with everything I've seen, heard and read, Sam's is not a great place to be an employee at.

Back