How do I add cleansing n bubbly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Hi.
So I'm out of coconut oil... N left with olive pomace. Palm oil. Sunflower oil. N sweet almond oil.
I also have little castor oil, mustard oil n sesame oil( prefer not to use them cos of their strong smell)

Using this is created a recipe n running through lye calculator.. Cleansing n bubbly shows 0

What do I substitute?? Advice please Screenshot_20171220_214525.pngScreenshot_20171220_214437.png

I think this recipe will bubble and it will clean. Just to show you where am coming from. I have a 35% each Palm and Shea with 30% Sunflower oil and it bubbles. It cleanses gently and I am in love with it. I use bath pouf though.

You can add Castor at 5% to sustain the lather. I think Sunflower helps soap lather better..... I don’t have proof of this though, it’s just something I have observed. I would maybe reduce the olive a little and add it to the sweet almond oil or remove the almond oil totally because at 2% it might as well not be there.

So I redid the recipe.. Hope this would make some differences.. Will this work ??
Screenshot_20171220_224539.pngScreenshot_20171220_224520.png

[emoji4] so.. Is it a bad idea to make soap without coconut oil??? Have you tried any blend that works fine?

[emoji4] so.. Is it a bad idea to make soap without coconut oil??? Have you tried any blend that works fine?

You don't need to use coconut oil in your recipes. There are all sorts of recipes that you can experiment with.

There are a few soapmakers out there that have done experiments of making "single oil" soaps and posting their results.

As you'll notice at this link, the only soap that does not produce any lather/bubbles is the 100% castor oil: http://www.lovinsoap.com/single-oil-soaps/

A 100% olive oil soap is called Castille, and it takes a long time to cure (6 months at least), but once it's well-aged, it's a very nice soap.

I'd recommend trying something like this:
60% Palm Oil
35% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil

Adding 1 tablespoon of sugar/honey per pound of oils will boost the bubbles as well.

I am finding out that Coconut Oil/Palm Kernel Oil, Babassu have their places especially in some specialized recipes like Laundry soap, Shaving soap, Salt Bar etc but I assure you, you can make a fantastic soap without any of the cleansing oils. I rarely use them in bath soaps for me anymore especially with Tallow in the mix and I am one that use heavy Shea Butter in recipes which I heard hinder lather but my soap lathers well without cleansing oils

I also have a recipe that is high coconut oil by some standards like 25% that is very mild and I have found out that you can use high cleansing oils but your combo of oils start to really matter else the soap can feel harsh on the skin.

I did try a baby soap for my Lo
With castor 5%
coconut 30%
Olive 65%

I got a pretty silky white bar. How long do u think it will take to cure???

I wouldn't use that on my 2.5 year old! Something like a Castile is the most soap he gets. Our 3 month old just has oil in warm water.

I wouldn't even use a 30% co bar on myself, to be honest. That is not a recipe for a baby bar.

I still haven't used it but left to cure.. I guess what u r worried bout is the amount of co that can be drying right??
I'm wanted it to lather so added the coconut oil..
I'm going to try a 100% olive oil with sugar n see how tat works.

I wouldn't use that on my 2.5 year old! Something like a Castile is the most soap he gets. Our 3 month old just has oil in warm water.

I wouldn't even use a 30% co bar on myself, to be honest. That is not a recipe for a baby bar.
Don't u think tat castor us going to cut the dryness of coconut oil n provide a moisturising bar with good stable lather...

Don't u think tat castor us going to cut the dryness of coconut oil n provide a moisturising bar with good stable lather...

Soap in it's nature is not moisturizing, it's cleansing and stripping while some oils provide less cleansing and less stripping.
As EG said, a good baby forumlation is 100% Olive Oil bar - soap does not have to have bubbles to clean, and even with low or 0 cleansing number on a soap calc, that does not mean it won't clean. All handmade soap, in it's nature will clean.
Some oils just lead to higher cleansing (aka more stipping) and flufflier bigger bubbly lather than other oils do.

There is a big difference between what an oil does to the skin compared to what the saponified soap of that same oil will do. Coconut is the best most example - as an oil it's lovely, but as a soap it's stripping all the oils from the skin like you wouldn't believe.

In moderation, or in certain circumstances, it's a great oil to include. But in that amount, for babies - it's a no from me

Back