Recipes with no liquid oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Does any have a recipe that only has hard oils, no liquid oils except castor? How do you like it?

I've never been a fan of olive oil or other liquid oils at more than 25-30% and at this point, I feel like I'm using them mostly as fillers.

I made a small batch of 75% lard, 15% coconut and 10% castor. Hoping it will be a nice bar that lathers decently.

I don't know if its the oleic content my skin doesn't like or if there is some other factor in OO but I hope this works it out.

I've done the lard 80%, CO 15%, Castor 5%. It makes a lovely bar of soap! I like the one with OO better, but I could happily use just the lard, CO, castor one for the rest of my life.

Even better, though is to mix the above with some GV shortening with palm and tallow. Now you're talking wonderful soap.

Hmm, I can't imagine a 100% cocoa butter would be very nice. I don't like it at all in soap and the one time I used it at 20 or 25%, it was harsh on my skin.

You know, I've never tried lard and GV together, I can imagine it would be nice. I occasionally use GV in place of lard, Ill have to try a blend some time.

What kind of a difference in lather was there between the 80% lard bar and your normal recipe with soft oils? I did make a 75% lard/25% coconut a couple years ago and really liked it but would have liked a bit more lather.

My skin has just been so finicky this last year. Seems I need to reformulate my recipe.

I have a recipe that I make that uses only hard oils. It has a high cleansing number but it’s one of my best and mildest recipe. It has PKO at 25% and the rest is Shea (high percentage) and either Palm/Palm Olein(Tried Tallow here but I find I much prefer palm. I am happy to share the recipe with you. You can always reduce the PKO of course but this recipe lathers great with plenty of dense creamy bubbles that lasts and lasts. And I also found out that reducing PKO by 5% cuts my bubbles but I don’t think it’s any milder to be honest.

I haven't done it, but if I were to try I would do something like this:

55% lard
25% coconut
10% shea butter
10% castor

I think that recipe can handle higher amounts of CO and Ca, but you could always play with percentages if that's uncomfortable to you (or add tallow). That's not very much shea for that amount of CO, so it could be upped. I also think castor is less sticky with a preponderance of hard oils.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

I haven't done it, but if I were to try I would do something like this:

55% lard
25% coconut
10% shea butter
10% castor

I think that recipe can handle higher amounts of CO and Ca, but you could always play with percentages if that's uncomfortable to you (or add tallow). That's not very much shea for that amount of CO, so it could be upped. I also think castor is less sticky with a preponderance of hard oils.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

I have made something similar and I'd lower that castor oil and reallocate the difference to the shea or lard.

The lather was comparable to the lather made with the OO. I just like using the OO to cool my oils down too much. Always in search of more efficient soapmaking.

I do soap with 45% lard, 45% CO and 10% castor.
Its a good soap that cleans well and isn't too harsh. Its not a luxury bar like castille is, but it is a good all around hand/bath soap.

It is also white, so colors work well with it.

Its versatile in that it does well with both hot and cold process.

All in all, it is the most requested soap formula I have. Everyone seems to love it.

GV shortening is Great Value Shortening from Walmart. There is an all veggie one and the one I think is being talked about is the Tallow/Palm GV Shortening.

I do soap with 45% lard, 45% CO and 10% castor.
Its a good soap that cleans well and isn't too harsh. Its not a luxury bar like castille

That made me giggle a little. To me, Castile is the exact opposite of luxurious, I hate the stuff.

When to the local walmart to pick up some more GV and they don't carry the tallow blend anymore, only the vegetable:cry:

There are no other local walmarts, I'll have to drive over 50 miles one way for a tub of shortening.

Yeah, thats what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere lol. I won't make a trip just for the oil, next time I'm in the city I'll pick some up. I don't actually use the GV that much so its not really that big of a deal.

Had great luck with a 65% lard soleseife.
The "rub" with with lard it's hard to get a good lather.
Up the Coconut oil and add Castor will provide some bubbles.
Increase the SF to minimize the CO harshness along with the benefits of the Soleseife technique.

View attachment Soleseife High Lard .pdf

Back